Frontiers charging for classifieds

Ajac
This topic is 7374 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ajac

Occasionally I have used Los Angeles Frontiers online classifieds to find a masseur. Now they not only charge the masseur for their ads, collect revenues from the advertisers but also a charge to view the classifieds. I am never comfortable in this day and age giving out my credit card info online so needless to say I will not be using them any longer. I am seeking a new online listing. M4M is quite good (found a few good ones there). I use to use "Body Work For Men" but there new site is not very good. Massuer.net I hear has not been updated in a long time.

Any suggestions for other sites?

Thanks Ajac

I agree. I'm a longtime Frontiers fan, using both the print and online editions. However, I will not pay to see online what I can see for free by walking to the stand outside my hotel.

They've lost my online business.

One could easily make a case that they shouldn't care if they lose the patronage of viewers who don't pay to see what they are publishing. However, readership generally accounts for a small portion of total revenue at most publications. Advertising is what pays the bills.

Losing readership by being greedy can easily lead to a vicious circle of fewer readers leading to fewer advertisers leading to less substance leading to few readers ...

Based on what I've seen elsewhere, I suspect they'll reconsider after losing a fair percentage of their online visitors.

BG

ps: I found it ironic that they want to charge $9.95 per month for access to the classifieds. Everything else -- including the content that is supposed to be the real raison d'etre of the magazine -- is still free.

Archived