Thai Bargains

Lucky
This topic is 5153 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Is anyone aware of any great bargains next month in Thailand? I hear that hotel occupancy is down drastically. The idea of staying in one of those super luxurious hotels at a real discount sure appeals to me. The one time I stayed at the Shangri-La, the night maid and I ended up having some pretty hot sex. Even though I had this lovley room, he was afraid to do it on premises, so we had to go to the much less luxurious Suriwong Hotel. January is a great time to be in Thailand, as it is the cooler time of the year.

well, if it is anything like late November/early December were it will be perfect weather-wise.

I don't know of any specific bargains. You might want to check asiarooms.com or agoda.com to see what they are quoting.

I either read or saw something on TV recently talking about luxury hotels in the US at least. And they basically said that rates would not be dropping as once they start discounting the rate it is hard to get it back up again. So they are doing things like throwing in freebies such as spa treatments or free internet access to try to make themselves more attractive.

There's a brand new Le Meridien opening in Bangkok. So you might want to check with them to see if they have soft opening rates or any sort of special deals. It is perfectly located right on Suriwong Rd. A short walk to the boy bars on Soi Twilight. Also a short walk to the Sala Daeng SkyTrain. It looked pretty nice from the outside and from their website the rooms look quite good as well.

There are also a number of serviced apartments in Bangkok that offer a better value than traditional hotels. I stayed at Siri Sathorn apartments during the airport closures. Their least expensive apartments are about Bt3800 a night ++ or around $125 a night all in. You get a nice one bedroom apartment with full kitchen, LCD TV, DVD player, free wireless internet, breakfast, quite nice furnishings, comfy bed. It's run by the same company as the Sukhothai. It's in a decent location about 10 minutes walk from Silom and the SkyTrain and subway. I would stay there again.

There are so many luxury hotels in Bangkok that you might definitely be able to find some deals. I read recently that occupancy at the higher end properties were miniscule right now.

If you are going elsewhere other than BKK you will probably find more reasonable rates. I guess the Amari in Pattaya is going for $49 a night which sounds like a great deal and in a good location.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/nova-platinum-hotel-south-pattaya-good-rates-t16783.html

I did check around. The Sofitel Silom could be had for $97, which is less than I paid last year. So a ten day trip with airfare could be done for under $2000 in a comfortable hotel...and then there is the nightlife expense. All of my plans are currently sidelined by a monstrous chest cold. Sign of the season I guess.

The best weather in Thailand is from the middle of November until early March. In 2006 I spent Christmas and New Years and a couple of weeks beyond in "The Land of Smiles."

In looking back I would love to relive all of my cultural and social experiences except New Year's Night in Pattaya. Unfortunately, I was a guest at a party which a farang held! I could not relate at all with the scene that prevailed and wish I'd spent it outside amongst the throng of partiers.

Guest ihpguy

Sorry, the link escapes me...

But somewhere on their website, The New York Times has a great article about cheap tours in Thailand.

• 1 year later...

Archived