Review of Bangkok Bars

kjun
This topic is 6643 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I read this article during the week. After having made my first trip to Thailand in 2003, I had been thinking about going back next year. But this article has given me second thoughts. One of the people quoted says that "Bangkok is a dead town." The writer suggests that going to Singapore might be a better choice now. Just wondered how some of the other readers to this Message Board feel about the subject. Also has the "crackdown" in Bangkok had any effect on other Thai locations such as Pattaya for example.

ag

>I was there in December and thought it was great. I don't

>know what it was like before but I had fun. It was my first

>trip. And there is so much more to enjoy in Thailand other

>than the sex scene. Go have fun.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""!!!!!! :-) :9 :-)

Yeah, that is basically what I have been reading as well. It's a shame he's such a corrupt SOB. But I guess part of the reason where there have been so many sex vanues over the years is the ingrained corruption that allows business owners to grease the wheels to stay out of trouble.

I plan to enjoy my trip in September no matter what. I will be seeing all of the sites Thailand has to offer and I believe the sexual aspect of the economy will still be going in some capacity.

I'm not sure how much better Singapore would be as having sex there could land you in a lot of trouble. But I have to say there are so many hot boys there it looks to be worth a visit. Check out all the horny hotties on http://www.sgboy.com and it looks like a candy store.

Bangkok Hotels, etc.

The article you read was most incorrect. There is no comparison between Singapore and Thailand other than that both are inhabited by Asians. thailand is much more fun, much cheaper and much more interesting.

The Tartawan is a nice place for the price. Although I may be accused of being a bit of a sleeze I really enjoy the Malaysia Hotel. Much less expensive and you can pick up boys in the cafe.}( It is also located walking distance from several very good restaurants and Babylon. Babylon is the nicest bath/sauna/gym I've ever visited - a really upscale place.

the Cajun

Singapore pales significantly as contrasted with Thailand. I traveled there in the 70s when I was not really "out" and found the city to be tame and very clean and safe, but there were too many constraits I observed in terms of sexual freedom.

Remember the special Gay Pride venue was shifted from here to Phuket just last November or early December? I guess I got this correct.

(When I was in Bkk a few months ago, my friend, an expat who has lived in Bkk for almost eight+ years and has traveled throughout Asia before as well as after his change of residence, told me one evening that if one is looking to explore his sexual prowessness, Bkk/Thailand is the place to do this in Asia... :-)

I believe Singapore has changed a fair amount since the 70s. You are correct that that circuit party did move from SG to Phuket recently. But from what I gather Singapore is actually trying to attract more tourists and gay folks. I think there are a number of lower key gay clubs going, but the authorities were afraid of the party where drugs and open sex might end up going on even though the organizers made assurances to the contrary.

Maybe all of those hot boys aren't very good in bed but they are pretty to look at. I'm telling you if you are a rice queen check out http://www.sgboy.com :p

Guest rampo

As the poster of the link to the NY Times article, I want to make clear that I don't agree with EVERYTHING in the article, although I thought it captured the current situation there quite well. Bangkok (and Thailand) is still a fun place to go and I am never disappointed when I visit. And I certainly don't think that Singapore will ever be as Bangkok is or was. When you really want to cut loose, Thailand is still the place to go - for westerners and Asians.

Archived