Avian Flu in Thailand

HardnThick
This topic is 6761 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

RE: Disease Risk in Thailand

There is a lot of concern over the bird flu, but as yet it doesn't seem to be epidemic in Thailand among humans. If it does break out there, it could spread fast and overwhelm the hospitals. But, until then, Thailand is probably as safe as New York.

Chicken queens would be more vulnerable than others, I would think.:)

Dengue fever is another problem, probably at this time more worrisome than bird flu to the traveler:

Thailand on high alert for dengue

Bangkok, Oct. 6 (Xinhua): Thailand has been taking the initiative in guarding against dengue fever which poses greater threats this year to neighboring countries than last year, the Department of Disease Control said here Thursday.

Thailand has adopted a package of strict measures to contain dengue fever, including reining outbreak areas and reduce the number of striped 'Aedes' mosquitoes, both mosquito larvae and adults, Dr. Thawat Suntrajarn, head of the department, was quoted by Thai News Agency as saying.

Dengue fever is an mosquito-borne infectious disease caused by any of four related dengue viruses. The patient usually display symptoms like high fever, rash, headaches and severe muscle and joint pain.

Statistics show that during the first nine months of this year, more than 32,000 Thais have been infected with dengue fever, with the death toll stands at 50.

Random checks in 45 provinces found that index of striped mosquito larvae in 90 percent of the surveyed areas stands at zero.

The number of mosquito larvae has been substantially reduced as its breeding grounds in houses, schools and temples were effectively eradicated, said Thawat.

Once the dengue fever patient is detected, a team of health workers will be sent to the area killing mosquitoes and destroy the breeding grounds.

Villagers will be advised on how to protect themselves from the deadly mosquito borne disease, he added.

So far this year, the dengue cases in Singapore reached 12,000 with 13 reported deaths, surpassing last year's 9,500 recorded cases.

While Malaysia has reported 73 deaths and more than 28,000 infections this year.

Thailand experienced an unusually large number of infected cases in 1998, but has contained the disease since then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised by this figure, but it checked out on a google search. In the early days of AIDS the gay community there was at the forefront of prevention; condoms were easily available. It's troubling to know that this may not still be the case, but for those of us who travel there, we know the practical value of a condom so what's to worry?

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to travel to ThaILAND in December/January of this and next year; I do hope that no health scares, or any other for that matter, prevent me from doing this. This trip has been postponed on two other occasions during the past eighteen months.

• 3 weeks later...

Axiom, if you chicken out of going to Thailand, would that make you a bird flu casualty?

I have talked to two doctors about it and have read as much on the subject as any layman. One doctor suggested that since Thailand would still be there in the future, why go now when there is some doubt? Another reminded me that there is no real risk at the present time of bird flu. General sanitaty precautions are still advisable, hand-washing etc. as well as making sure the food you eat is cooked in front of you or by a reputable kitchen (e.g., no street cooked food). Avoid live birds and bird handlers just to be safe. That would probably include bird parks and zoos. You might want to buy some Tamiflu when you get there as usually no prescriptions are needed. (It could be countrerfeit, though! It is Thailand!)

But go and have a good time. Be sure to tell us chickens all about it! :)

Though few human cases of Avian/Bird flu have been reportes in Thailand, all occured in people who had intense contact with chicken, or ducks (In farms, and villages, and not restaurants.....). The virus has not mutated yet to become capable or efficient in spreading from human to human. So, the risk of a tourist acquiring bird flu in Thailand now is close to zero. Hording Tamiflu is not a good idea. Are you going to start taking it by the first sneeze? for how long?

I am leaving to Thailand in 2 weeks with no Tamiflu, or true fear of the Avian flu..

OHGWM226

We don't really disagree much here. I said that I thought the risk was quite low, but the fear is that the situation will change and when it does, the change could be dramatic and fast. So everyone gets to decide for himself if he wants to be there now or wait and see what happens with the avain flu. One scenario, and I am hypothesizing, would involve bar boys who have just returned from a visit to the family farm. They may have a had a lot of contact with chickens.

Although the human transmission is not yet likely, when it does happen as it seems certain to, I'd like to minimize my risk to the extent that I could. So having Tamiflu is a good idea for me, but hoarding Tamiflu is a separate idea as a concept. When and if it is needed on a large scale, it will go first to the military, then the police, then the politicians, and then the rich. So, as an individual, I'd say get it while you can. As a society, it is not a good idea to have it unsupervised.

And are you being facetious to suggest that one would take it at the first sneeze? No, you would want to see symptoms of the disease first, like high fever, neck pain, and severe fatigue. It would also help to know if the disease had started to spread. I doubt very much that any of us will be the first tourist to get it, so no, I wouldn't take it at the first sneeze. And, once again, we have no idea when it will start to become a pandemic. I think Thailand right now is almost totally safe.

Well, terrorism is a problem in the south...

Archived