Makabucha Day In Thailand

HooBoy
This topic is 7016 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Or as the local boys call it, Buddha Day. It is an annual holiday that takes place on the night of the full moon during the third lunar month of the year.

No alcoholic beverages are served or sold in honor of this country's version of our Christmas.

There are no Buddha Sales at the stores and people do not go around saying Happy Buddha Day.

So tonight, me and the boys are going to Benihana where I will gladly pick up the tab without the typical overpriced alcohol added to the menu. '

I only wish Totally Oz was here to enjoy it with us.

It isn't like Christmas. It commemerates a day when the Buddha preached to 1250 unsummoned monks. More important in Thai Buddhism is Visacha Bucha, which usually falls in May and commerates the birth, enlightenment, and death of the Budda. Asalha Bucha day in July commerates the Buddha's first sermon--around the same time is Khao Pansa which ushers in the "rains retreat" during which monks traditionally remain in one temple. This is the time of the year when it is most traditional to don the robes.

Guest msclonly

Since I have been visiting Thailand (and Myanmar) the past 14 years, I tell people that I have become a Latent Busddhist from the wonderful examples of the native peoples.

The more I learn of that philosophy of life and living, the more I enjoy life and every moment of the every day.

Yes, it took some time to overcome the Judeo-Christian Western indoctrination frow growing up in a parochial setting, but it is now history and life is much more meaningful.

RESPECT THOSE ABOVE YOU AND

HELP THOSE BELOW YOU.

Archived