NWA Miles plus Cash

TotallyOz
This topic is 7067 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NWA on the main page of their site allows you to check for tickets where you upgrade with miles now. I was able to find great tickets for Feb that I paid slightly over 2k for but upgraded to First Class for only 25k miles for the entire trip. I was happy with this as it still gives me my bonus miles.

Guest msclonly

Looks like you got a Full Fare Coach ticket with the 25K upgrage to Business Class. Is it on Continental Airlines?

I didn't think NW flies there!

I just did a Full Fare Continental coach ticket with CO miles upgrade to BKK on Northwest Airlines, purchased on April 8, 2004.

It was the most difficult 9 months without much service from CO or NW! Never did get the upgrades for the NRT-BKK-NRT sebments, since they switched to 'small plane', an Airbus 330-200. Flying in Coach was painful!

:-(

No, it was on NWA and a northwest flight. It probably was a full coach ticket but often I don't find them with the upgrades possible. I did this time and am happy I did.

I was told the small plane was a 3 month experiment. I have already e-mailed management to let them know my feelings on it as I don't like it. But, so far, I have had nice upgrades on every trip.

I love the new search feature from NWA.com as it really does allow you to find stuff. I also find that looking very early morning is great as they release more spots then. :)

Guest msclonly

Sorry, I Had assumed you were ticketing to RIO, since you are going to Carnaval from info in another string.

Yes NW does fly to BKK. Better yet a friend of mine flies Houston on Continental nonstop to Tokyo then to Bangkok on NW.

Business Class on the Airbus 330 looked nice enough compared to the 744.

If you have American Air miles, then check into Cathy Pacific FIRST CLASS. I did that the previous two years to BKK and it was fantastic. And a bargain at 125,000 miles rounddtrip with a tub soak at the FC lounge in Hong Kong followed by gourmet Brunch Buffet, more champagne before takeoff.

:+

Guest chaotou

Northwest's World Business Class service is the same on the A330 and 747-400. The 747's have been updated with the same WBC seats and video on demand system.

Guest msclonly

Old old plane! 747-200

Unfortunately, the NW LAX-NRT-LAX equipement is the old 747-200, and I swear the Business Class seats are the very same I sat in over 3 years ago. Why I recall so vividly is because the seats have a softer deeper depression in the center, which leaves a firm edge to cut of the circulation to the legs with the prolonged seating.

I suspect that they were chosen by the Minneapolis executive heavyweights over 200 pounds and over 6 feet. Smaller donut hole cushions are used for hemorroid relief.

I was expecting this before boarding, since I flew NW many times to the Orient in the 1990's, so I pointed this out to the Flight Attendent and she immediately suggested getting a samll pillow, and went to get it. It helped, but the firm widefront edge of the seat is not of GQQD design for long sitting. No other 'modern' airline had seats of this 199o's design or materials.

Even the A/V system is old compared to the 747-400 and the Airbus 330-200.

;(

RE: Old old plane! 747-200

All true. But, of the majors, Northwest is one of the airlines in the best shape. Cutting costs where possible is one of the reasons for that. As a customer who wants Northwest to be around for a long time and to offer safe, reliable service, financial stability of the airline is important to me. (Unfortunately, I also feel the same way about United, which may or may not emerge from bankruptcy.)

I've flown over 750,000 miles on Northwest and am generally pleased with the service whenever I do. It's not the most luxurious, by far, but I find the seats to be ok and the rest of the service quite decent. On long flights, I recommend getting up to walk and stretch frequently.

BG

Guest chaotou

The 747-200 hasn't been updated with the new WBC seats and video system because they are being phased out. The one on the LAX-NRT route must be one of the last. You can always ask to be routed to SFO, PDX or SEA on Alaska Airlines (code share partner). I know the A330 is currently on the PDX-NRT and SEA-NRT routes and I think SFO-NRT also.

Guest msclonly

I would still suggest aboiding NW, since I have moved over to Continental Airlines due to my change of destinations, since the 1990's.

And you are right about using Seattle or Portland, if you take NW and avoid the 747-200 out of LAX. DTW and Minneapolis have two flights a day to NRT. I guess this is not really a problem for the passengers on the Eastern half of the country.

:-(

Guest msclonly

Helping a friend decide on how to fly to Thailand, I have convinced my self to never fly any portion in coach and avoid NW.

So I will consider a Consolidator for tickets on Cathay Pacific or Thai Air.

Does Thai Air non-stop to BKK, yet?

:+

Archived