Meeting Mama and a dose of Reality

TotallyOz
This topic is 7095 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Last night, I went on a journey I had not expected. I have a boyfriend that lives with me here in Thailand. We took on another boyfriend that is a bit new to the scene. He has been staying with us. He is adorable and cute and smart and I just think he is a very special young man. Yesterday, he wanted to go spend time with his family. I told him to have fun and would see him later. After much discussion among the Thai boys, it came to light that what the boy actually wanted was to take me to meet his family. Well, this is not something I wanted to do and said, "maybe later." After seeing my friend get a bit depressed, I gave in and said ok. (sucker written on forehead)

Off we went to meet the family. I was not knowing what to expect as I am much older and MUCH bigger and heavier than he. I just worried that they would think I was an old pervert or something.

I was lead down one dirt path after another. It was a bit scary for me being out of the environment I knew so well. After about the 10th turn down different paths, we pulled into a home. It was small, with windows and door open. The air was hot. There was little breeze. There were 2 kids on the porch and my friend greeted them. His brother and sister were smaller and younger than him and both were dressed in school attire.

The home was not what I had expected for a house for 5. It was basically one room with a bathroom. The main room was about 14 x 14 and had a bed, couch and tv in it. The tv was small and blurry. It was not at all what I expected. I will not go into great detail but I knew that I was dealing with a family of very low income.

The mother works 7 days a week for 12-15 hours and makes about 180bath a day. She is a hard worker with a nice smile and a loving disposition. I could see with the way she interacted with the kids that she was nurturing and a good mother.

As I said before, I was worried about what she would think of me. Immediately upon meeting her I was welcomed as a part of the family. She kept saying over and over, thank you so much for taking such good care of her son. I had a few tears in my eyes when we left the home after about an hour of chatting. My heart was touched and I was moved by the appreciation for taking care of her son.

It brought me to feel both good about myself for taking care of her son and bad for myself as I now know why the guys here work in the bars. The money is great and the ability to help out the family is tremendous. It is not frowned upon like it is in the states or other places I have visited. The family was happy that their son was being taken care of by someone who was good to him and showed him respect and concern. The family was glad that I was enrolling him in university and paying for him to study english.

I have to admit that I have not had time to process the whole thing yet and that I was happy for a while last night and depressed at the same time. Those emotions flowed with me the entire night and my sleep was not sound. When my friend woke up today, he looked at me and said, "I am so happy." I asked why. He said, "you are very good to me. I am finally happy." Tears again flowed but not in his sight. I am not sure if they were tears of joy. As I said, I need time to process things more.

The light burst into my hotel room where I spend more in one night that the family I visited pays for rent in one month. The light was warm and soothing. I know that Thailand is a magical place and that the people here are the best on earth. My day will be spent with the 2 guys that I have in my life. We will laugh together, sleep together, get drunk together and live another day together. If I have to live life only one day at a time, I know that I am in the right place for me at this moment. The days go by fast here and the nights are faster. The guys are plentiful and they seem to come and go faster than the light gushed into my room this morning. The way to slow down the pace is to find those that endear themselves to you, hold tight, love them with all their faults, and ask yourself everyday if you are happy. So far, I have answered in the affirmative every night. With my family here growing, my roots are getting stronger and my mind seems to be gearing up for planting the roots.

Now my friend, you finally know why Thailand is so special. Some never find out so count yourself lucky that you have shed the tears for the right reasons.

A little strange for me since you and I sort of had this discussion the night before when I was telling you about Lings parents.

Then I go to internet today and read your touching story. Your new friend is lucky to have found you and you are just as lucky.

Talk to you after I return to the cold of Montreal

Guest msclonly

You should have seen the saddening concern, when the Thai Baht was reduced by the careful Hedging of Soros and friends, that broke the Baht and reduced it to HALF of it's value. It went from a long steady period of 25 Baht to the US dollar to 50 Baht/US$ till it settled down around 41+- Baht currently.

Yet there are some on another string, who think it is more important to count the number of notches on their bedposts every day, then trying to understand the social psychology of the Boys and their families regardimg what they are doing for a living or survival!

Yes, desperate people do desperate things, but they somehow manage to enjoy the simple things of life and help us to do the same.

Of course, a few go wrong and take the other road at the fork requiring you to be cautious and protect whatever you have.

Enjoy the marvels of Thailand. It may the last outpost of more human relationships, which is not always easy for Westerners to appreciate without being judgemental. Tears of sadness or joy are part of being human. Albeit a sensitive human being! Good for you!

It is enough to make one a latent Buddhist!

Cheers,

;-)

Archived