Bangkok Raids

This topic is 7722 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The gay travel agencies in Thailand will probably have someone respond to this question that everything is as it was, but then, they don't want to lose any business. Thailand has for some time now been trying to change its image as a sex hotspot. The puritans in the government would certainly like to see the gay shows turned off!

Guest icon513

At the moment, shows are on and off when it comes to full nudity, depending on whether the police are out. When nudity is "off", it is replaced with the sheerest of sheer undergarments that don't leave much to the imagination anyway. ALL the host bars and go-go bars are open as normal, so you won't want for paid companionship.

A couple of the large saunas have been raided recently, ostensibly to look for drug users. Sauna-goers were forced to provide urine specimens, and about 10% of them were reportedly found positive for drugs. A couple saunas have either been forced or otherwise persuaded to remove doors from private cabins and to stop handing out condoms and lube temporarily, so as to give the appearance that their purpose is not to be used for sexual liaisons until this "crackdown" (spearheaded by a sole, attention-hungry politician) is over. It's really very silly.

All the discos and clubs are open as usual, but are being made to strictly abide by the 2:00 legal closing time. There have also been sporadic drug and ID checks.

So, if the things mentioned above concern you, it might be best to wait a couple months before everything (inevitably / hopefully) returns to normal. Otherwise, come on over. I promise you won't have any trouble finding sex, if that is what you're after.

Guest icon513

Yes, it was. The patrons were subjected to urinalysis. But the place was never closed down, and was open as usual the following day. Private cabins currently remain off-limits as a precautionary measure.

This is all rather sad!

I was just about to go when I heard about the raids and the events at the Saunas. I read in the gay paper http://www.fridae.com/index.php that there have been many raids on practically all the "establishments" and that some have been closed all together.

I, for one, see little point in going at this time and have cancelled my trip.

Look forward to visiting Thailand one day in the future.

With sadness I state too, that after hearing he news from Bangkok, and espaecially about the raid on Babylon, one of my favorite places there, I cancelled a planned trip to Bangkok for April. A German friend is still going in February. I'll wait and see what he reports from their. I wonder if this madness would still be going on till then, or if things would have returned to "normal".. Babylon has already posted the news of the raid of December 27th on its web site

http://www.babylonbkk.com/new_frame.htm

Guest icon513

The best place to look for updates on the situation is the Thailand board of http://www.cruisingforsex.com (which I co-moderate).

As of the weekend, everything at Babylon was reportedly back to normal (doors back on private cabins, lights down, lots of hot action). And to reiterate, NO establishments have been closed (not a single one).

There have also been no raids of gay establishments reported in the past two weeks. Over the weekend, the Ministry of Sound, a very hot straight/mixed disco was "raided" -- which simply amounted to ID and urine checks on the patrons.

I personally think the heat is already off the gay sauna scene.

• 4 weeks later...

Any new news from Bangkok? Is Babylon sauna back to normal? are the doors, condoms and lubes back in place? Are Thai men back in numbers, or are current customers mostly foreigners who came because they had not heard about the raid of December?

Are things in Bangkok back as they were to justify spending 23 hours in airplanes/airports to visit again?

I would appreciate any update before deciding if to visit Bangkok soon, or to look for a different destination?;(

I did read the post above my last one. The latest update on that site (http://www.cruisingforsex.com ) is dated jan 24 when things were not back to normal yet. Followed by one posting dated Feb 4th. Here is a copy of it:

Can anyone update us on Babylon? Are the doors back? Are the curtains in place? If yes, is it more fun or does it scare the shy guys away?

Is there lighting everywhere, are there some dark areas, are condoms still a "no", what about the parties etc.

If at the same time you updated on Chakran, this woudl be top.

So, as you see posts there have no new information. just like here. Any one have new info?

Guest icon513

Check the site again today. There are updates of both Babylon (condoms and lubes available again, lights down, most doors back on but some replaced by curtains) and Chakran (private rooms converted into private 'karaoke' rooms that provide the same function of providing privacy for you and your partner).

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to read things are better in Bangkok as I am planning to go there in April.

What is the Tawana Muscle Club like these days? Is there any muscle there. Was there just once and 95% of the guys had swimmers builds, not much muscle.

Any and all current info appreciated, including hotel recommendations nearby.

Guest pshaw

The Tawan is the only Thai gay bar that I'm aware of that specializes in the muscle look. Since that is not really my thing, I don't go there that often. My Thai boyfriend likes to go once in awhile because he finds the pseudo-SM/bondage shows to be "funny." (He also says "These boys very very BIG," but that is from his Thai perspective.) Many of the larger bars will have some muscle guys on staff - I recommend checking out the more popular Soi Twilight bars. There is usually a decent selection of muscle guys at the larger massage saunas - Albury Mens Club (in Sukhumvit, not too far from the Skytrain station) is a good place to start. Many gay Asians (especially the Japanese, it seems) are into the muscle look and like the atmosphere of the massage saunas, so I would recommend getting to these places around 6 or 7pm for the best selection, when many of the "masseurs" start showing up for work.

As for hotels, the most conveniently located one is the very gay friendly Tarntawan Hotel, probably less than a one-minute walk and just around the corner from the Tawan Club (the Tawan is on Soi Tarntawan). None of the Patpong gay bars is more than a 10-minute walk from the hotel. Legal age guests are never problem as long as you have reserved a double room.

I visited Tawan last weekend - the first time in more than two years.

The place has really changed - bigger and flashier, with glitzier shows; but more importantly, the guys have a very different look. A few years ago, most of the men have that lean muscled look, but now they all appear to be heavier and beefier - like bodybuilders in the off-season - exactly the way I like them. There were about 30+ guys.

Despite the on-again-off-again police raids, the shows included jackoffs, blowjobs and anal sex in every imaginable position.

Hope this helps.

It seems as if the police there are too busy shooting drug users to bother with sex shows. The government has determined to end the drug scourge in 90 days, and that means a list of people (about 900) who are to be shot on sight. Many people are rushin to turn themselves in first!

• 2 weeks later...

Listen guys for GOD sakes don't cancel your trip to Bangkok or to Babylon for that fact. It' s absolutely fine I was just there in January and again in February ALL THE ROOMS ARE OPEN. The rooms in the first section near the Internet room and changing lockers now have curtains instead of doors but all the rest of the rooms in the other sections are with doors just as always. The crowds are great, it's busy and the token raid was nothing more than bizzare muscle flexing by some deranged politician.

Besides, if you have ever been to Bangkok you know that in order to find companionship you don't have to do more than walk down the street in the right neighborhood. Or cruise the right shopping mall (Silom comple in the early evening!). There are a ton of things to do and see in the Big Mango. I'm ruled by my dick as much as any other guy but for christs sake don't just go to Thailand for the sex/guys. It is an amazing place with amazing sites and food and culture. There are so many reason to go that the gay life, at least for me, is just the icing on the cake (not to play it down too much it is VERY nice icing indeed).

Telephone Bar and Balcony Bar and DJ station and all the rest of the places are still going strong. Don't let a few isolated incidents ruin your plans GO! On the hotel front - if you want to stay at one of the most incredible places on the planet that would cost you 400 bucks a night anywhere else check out the Sukohthai. Right around the corner form the gay area (Silom) and a short walk to Babylon (and pretty gay itself). In the off season (now) you should be able to get a weekend rate of about 168 plus taxes. So worth the splurge! Hell you'd spend more than that in a hour here :9

Enjoy!:o

Archived