New wave of violence in Rio

ohgwm226
This topic is 6324 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

BBC: Gang attacks on buses and police stations in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro have left at least 18 people dead, officials say.

One local media report has spoken of an atmosphere of war in the city, which is preparing for a huge New Year's Eve beach party.

At least 12 police stations and posts in different parts of Rio were attacked with grenades and automatic fire.

Here is the link to the story on BBC web-site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6214299.stm

It is unclear if some of the violence occured in tourists area.. Any info from guys who are in Rio now? I'll be there in less than 2 weeks..

OHGWM226

According to O Globo, some of the attacks were in areas a visitor might be in: Downtown, Botafogo, Lagoa and Barra da Tijuca. Some of the attacks seemed to be at random, but others targeted police stations or residences of police/political figures. Security is being reinforced to avoid problems with the upcoming New Year's Eve. Speculation is that the drug gangs are trying to put presssure on the new governor of Rio, who is to be inaugurated on Jan. 1st.

Traffic tomorrow probably will be chaotic because the 48 bus companies that serve Rio are pulling their vehicles back to the garages to prevent any more of them being attacked and burnt. Thousands of people may be unable to get to work without the buses, so businesses may be operating understaffed or even forced to close for lack of personnel. The Metrô will probably be overcrowded all day long as it tries to take up the slack from the absence of buses.

If you are already in Rio, ask at your hotel what is going on during the day and be especially alert if you are on the streets. These spasms of violence tend to wear themselves out pretty quickly, but it's better to be safe than sorry! :-(

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is still curious, the government has recently reinforced the policing in and around Rio in anticipation of Carnaval, and because the population in general is demanding that something be done. Even to people used to Rio's violence, the brutality of last months outrages really shocked people. Police presence in Copacabana and along the road from the airport into town is substantially more visible. So far it seems to be working, but only time will tell for sure. SF Traveler

I just returned from Rio last weekend. The Federal Police was much more visible on Copacabana beach. They were typically in T-shirts and shorts. I was not sure if their being there in numbers was due to the recent violonce in Rio, or due to the presence of many South American presidents, including Venzuelan president Chavez in Copacabana Palace Hotel.

At any rate. Rio was peaceful when I was there though the weather was not so nice...

ohgwm226

>I just returned from Rio last weekend. The Federal Police was

>much more visible on Copacabana beach. They were typically in

>T-shirts and shorts. I was not sure if their being there in

>numbers was due to the recent violonce in Rio, or due to the

>presence of many South American presidents, including

>Venzuelan president Chavez in Copacabana Palace Hotel.

>At any rate. Rio was peaceful when I was there though the

>weather was not so nice...

>

>ohgwm226

When I was in Rio in October, a similar contingent of Federal Police was assembled throughout Copa, especially in the beach area. That was the time that Naz Car (misspelled) was there for its trip from Rio to Sao Paulo or some such.

The same will probably exist in 2008 during the Pan Am Games which will be held in Rio.

Archived