Argentina---My First Visit

arthur
This topic is 6963 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm thinking of paying my first visit to Argentina in the fall. Just wondered---As an American citizen, do I need a visa? Other than Buenos Aires, can you recommend any other special places in the nation? (I do speak Spanish fairly well.) Am I correct in assuming that it's fairly easy to hop over to Chile for a few days from Buenos Aires? Thanks.

ag

1) No, Americans don't need a visa to visit Argentina. A valid passport will do.

2) Argentina is a huge country, with many "special" places, ranging from overwhelming Iguassu Falls in the northeat to the spectacularly arid Andean northwest, from the sun-drenched wine country of Mendoza to the magnificent lake country around Bariloche, from whale and glacier watching in Patagonia to spending time in the world's southernmost city (Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego). Without knowing what kinds of things interest you most, you should invest in a copy of the very detailed Rough Guide to Argentina and read about the country to determine what side trips you'd most enjoy.

3) Santiago is just a couple of hours by jet from Buenos Aires and there are many flights. It's also just a hop over the Andes from Mendoza. Check with the Chilean Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. about fees before going. Americans don't need a visa for Chile, but I understand that they're charging one-time $100 entry fees in reprisal for the similarly expensive fees we charge Chilean visitor visa applicants. So you'll want to be prepared for whatever bureaucracy you'll experience upon arrival.

Archived