Maximum Stay in Brasil

jivau3930
This topic is 7017 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I will be returning to Brasil in September 2005 and I plan on staying 6 months - which, I understand is the maximum stay during 12 consecutive months. I also understand that a US citizen must leave the country after 60 days. How long must one remain out of Brasil before returning for the last three months. I have seearched the archieves and find nothing.

ALSO - Does anyone have more details regarding the unfortunate and untimely death of HB?? What a great loss!!

Thanks

You can stay 180 days in each CALENDAR year. This is because anyone who stays longer is considered a resident for Brazilian taxation purposes, regardless of the kind of visa they have. The ordinary tax year in Brazil for individuals is the same as in the U.S., i.e. the calendar year.

The separate issue of the 90 day entry permit doesn't fully coincide with the 180 day maximum stay requirement. As Big Daddy noted, you can just leave Brazil on or before your 90th day for a quick trip to B.A. or Montevideo and then return. Alternatively (but this will involve more paperwork and possibly greater scrutiny of your passport) you can request a 90-day extension from the Polícia Federal within Brazil. In that case, you don't have to leave the country. But get started on that at least a week or two before your initial 90 days runs out.

Remember that because the two requirements don't coincide exactly you could actually spend one full year in Brazil (with exits every 90 days) if you arrive in Brazil on July 1 and depart on or before June 30 of the following year. You'd use up your first 180 days in the first calendar year, and the second 180 days in the next calendar year. However you would then have to leave and not return until at least January 1st of the following year.

Guest ihpguy

Thought I might be able to contribute to this thread. After leaving Rio on Friday after a stay of fifty days, I was questioned by the Brazilian emmigration officers. They noticed the duration of my stay and asked some questions which were certainly right to the point. And when I responded in my poorly-accented, but correct Portuguese, they were certainly alert to any irregularities in my responses. They asked what I had done in their country for such a lenghtly period of time. I responded that I was there on vacations and living in my future retirement home on Paqueta. They asked me what I did for employment and was I working while I was in Rio? I could have answered that I was certainly working hard looking working to find the perfect garoto de programa who was completo, beijo na boca and had a dote of at least 25 cm. And had finally found one the previous week, but felt that wasn't the correct answer. For those interested, head to Spa 73 and hire Paulo. Instead, I answered that I was enjoying Rio and "a vida simples" out on the island. That answer was certainly deemed correct. I definitely saw him typing in the computer my name, passport number and dates of entry and exit. He stamped my passport and wished me "Boa Viagem" with my response of "Muito Obrigado, Tchau" So I guess I am definitely in the Brazilian immigration computers over length of stay in their country this year. For other M4M'ers, perhaps if you do not see the officers typing in your info and just sliding through the passport, they might not register your stay toward the 180 day maximum? It could be something to check on. In all of my previous visits over the past year and a half, this had never occured. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dreynsol

Hopefully, this question hasn’t been rehashed before (I did try to use the Search feature without much success) :-)

I was wondering what the repercussions are for checking “Business Purpose” on the Brazilian entry form versus “Tourist”. I called a good friend of mine at his Ft. Lauderdale number and he picked up in Barbados via the Internet. He telecommutes for his company in San Jose, CA.

As Cezar would say, "is possible" for me to live and work in Brazil within the six month limit? :-)

Is there a permit required for trips that include business or exactly how does that work?

Thanks, as always, for your advice.

- Drey

>

>I was wondering what the repercussions are for checking

>“Business Purpose” on the Brazilian entry form versus

>“Tourist”.

>

>As Cezar would say, "is possible" for me to live and work in

>Brazil within the six month limit? :-)

>

>Is there a permit required for trips that include business or

>exactly how does that work?

>

The following wording is found at the Brazilian Embassy website at http://www.brasilemb.org with respect to Tourist Visas:

"Tourism trip;

visit to relatives and/or friends;

scientists, professors or researchers attending cultural, technological or scientific conferences, seminars.

participation in artistic or amateur sport competitions, whenever no monetary prize or paid admission is involved.

Tourist visa holders are not allowed to engage in any paid activity in Brazil."

In other words, if you enter Brazil with a tourist visa, you are not allowed to engage in any work which will generate income to you.

Go to the above website where you will find the various types of visa available. With each type of visa is listed what activities you are allowed to engage in while in Brazil.

I hope this answers your inquiry.

Cheers.

There also may be different maximum stays or entries associated with a business/commercial visa. Check with the embassy or consulate if you are interested in such a visa. I seem to remember something to the effect that entries on business/commercial visas are only for 30 days, although I may be mistaken. I suppose it's possible to have BOTH kinds of visas, depending on what you plan to do in Brazil during your stay, but you'd have to declare to the Brazilian immigration officer upon entry into Brazil what the purpose of your trip is.

It looks like Brazil is in the process of reviewing and re-issuing its immigration laws. Some changes have already occurred through administrative action, like reducing the amount required for an investor's visa to US$50,000 (and a commitment to create at least 10 jobs for Brazilians within two years of arrival in Brazil). Others are contemplated for retirement visas, etc. According to the TV news, the object is to make getting visas easier. Brazil recognizes that most would-be immigrants to Brazil aren't taking jobs from Brazilians. The vast majority are interested in opening small businesses which would eventually hire Brazilians, thereby strengthening the economy. Presumably, any revised immigration law will reflect that understanding. Stay tuned for further developments. Any new immigration law will probably be passed this year or next (the last of the current Lula administration -- elections are scheduled for October 2006).

Archived