LUCY

mmk
This topic is 8222 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just go thru watching "The I Love Lucy 50th anniversary" special and I thought that it was a wonderful retrospective of the career of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez. Has anyone ever influenced televsion and comedy the way that Lucy did? I would have to say not. I think that some people have made a mark but I do not feel that anyone has made the mark that she did. I think that itis amazing how a tv show done fifty years ago can still be somewhat topical and despite how ever many times you have seen the same episode, you still laugh like it was the first time ever.

Now what was your favorite episode? I can agree with the some of the Top Ten picks that were hilighted but my favorite episode would have been the one where Lucy and Ethel had dozens of eggs hidden in their overalls and then Lucy had to do the Tango with Ricky and then they all splattered when they met. (That episode apparently received the longest laugh ever that I Love Lucy received and I think justly so.)

I just watched it too, and I agree. Lucy is the queen of comedy. She paved the road for women in comedy. The work that Lucy and Desi did together on that show shaped network television as we know it today.

I found some of the star quotes aired during the show fascinating.

Was it Cher who said "I've never turned it off ... I can be surfing and once I see it I watch it until it's over"?

It was a great show about a great show. And there were two pretty terrific people behind that great show too.

Two thumbs up.

Deej, I wholeheartedly agree with your commetns, but I feel that Lucy paved the way for EVERYONE in comedy, not just women. I think for any comedic artist, male, female or whatever race, to say that Lucy did not inspire them in some way shape or form would basically be a

boldface lie.

I was surprised that we did not see any commentary by Carol Burnett since she always said that Lucy was such an influence and very helpful in getting her career started. Then again, maybe on the Carol Burnett reunion show that will be airing later this month we will see something. (Even if there is no mention, just to see that cast back together will be worth it. When is it supposed to air?)

mmk, I agree that Lucy paved the way for a lot, but she didn't *invent* comedy.

Red Sketlton (a personal fave) was pretty popular back then too. The Marx Brothers showed up on Lucy's show when they were already established.

Lucy & Desi didn't invent comedy. But they sure did legitimize bringing into homes. And I still watch them on a lazy Saturday when I'm just surfing channels and bump into it. I can almost recite every line from every show, and I still laugh out loud watching them again.

I hadn't heard about the Carol Burnett retrospective but I'll sure be watching for it! I grew up on that!

"I'm so glad we had this time together. Just to have a laugh and sing a song. Seems we just get started and before you know it ... it's the time we have to say 'So Long'" (yank ear)

Guest happyguy

There was a thread, not long ago, on "comfort food". In many ways Lucy is the equivalent of comfort food for me on t.v. Whenever I take a few days off at our condo in Miami, I love watching the reruns. I grew up watching those shows ... and all my preoccupations seem to go away and I get back to the comfortable place I was in as a young kid at home. I wonder if this is the case for anyone else. Thanks for bringing it up!

The night Lucy died, CBS did an hour prime time special on her life.

I remember CBS President William Paley commenting on Lucy's great, great likeability. Paley said that a performer can have all the talent in the world, but will not go far if the audience does not like the person. Who has greater likeability than Lucy? She was, and is, just so funny!

I always liked Desi Arney, Jr., so was glad to see him on the show. Desi looks very good for 47.

Archived