LEARNING PORTUGUESE IN RIO

trilingual
This topic is 6967 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Many M4Mers have been interested in learning Portuguese, at least enough to help them deal with basic concepts. A number have made a start using language learning systems like Pimsleur. These can be good beginnings, but they can't substitute for real lessons with a live teacher.

If you'd like to learn Portuguese while you're in Rio, my boyfriend Clayton, a professional teacher, is available to give you private lessons during your stay. He uses the most up-to-date materials for teaching Brazilian Portuguese to foreigners, or he can use the materials you already have if you've been studying Portuguese at home. (Or both.) Because Clayton speaks relatively little English, you'll be forced to use Portuguese in your lessons and to communicate with him. Even if you'll only be in Rio for a week or two, you can learn a surprising amount by signing up for two hours of daily lessons with him during your stay. His students have been uniformly pleased with their experience. For M4Mers, a special lesson unit has been developed covering some of the vocabulary you WON'T learn from Berlitz or Pimsleur! This will help you significantly in your prowls around Rio! Clayton's special M4M teaching rates are R$50 for a one-hour lesson, or R$85 for a two-hour lesson. BTW, here's a photo of Clayton so you can visualize who will be teaching you (photo taken on our Northern European tour in July '04):

http://85.158.9.33/newphotos/21/a/ativo21x9cmtz719.jpg

If you're interested, the best way to make arrangements is by e-mailing me through this site (just click on the envelope icon in this posting). Please include the dates you'll be in Rio and whether you're a complete beginner, if you already speak some Portuguese, if you're at the intermediate level, etc. If you already speak another Romance language (like Spanish, Italian or French) please include that information. For your own planning purposes, please note that Clayton is currently back in university finishing his math degree. When school is in session (from February through June and from August through November) he is only available between 1:00 and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays. You could consider scheduling Portuguese classes with him right after lunch or at the end of the afternoon, just in time to try out your new skills at your favorite sauna!!!

There are other ways to learn Portuguese in Rio, of course. Longer courses for foreigners are offered at some of the language schools, like IBEU (http://www.ibeu.com.br) or some of the local universities like PUC, the Catholic University (http://www.puc-rio.br), which also offer the possibility of a longer-stay student visa. If you have an extended period of time available, these would be options to look into. But if you only have a limited amount of time available, private one-on-one lessons with your own teacher, like Clayton, are your best option.

Let me just second what Tri has said. I take regular Portuguese lessons here in the US and my skills have reached what one might call a solidly intermediate level. When I was last in Rio, I had several lessons from Clayton. He speaks clearly and grammatically, not something that's universal in Brazil. Being gay, he was more than happy to go over the basic sex vocabulary with me. I knew most things, but he did have to correct my pronunciation of the word for rimming (look it up queens!). I found him very useful, and punctual, which is a sticking point for me. He's also cheaper (about R$50/hour) than the other good teachers I've used. SF Traveler

Guest dreynsol

A good friend of mine 'Mascmaninmd' suggested that I try utilizing a tutor to help with my Portuguese. With my experiences with a tutor so far, all of the tapes and books that you can buy are no substitute for a tutor that can explain the common words and expressions that are used in Brail.

I would definitely recommend a tutor if you are serious about furthering your language skills, and I look forward to Clayton's assistance during my trip in Feb.

IMHO, you'll save a lot more in being able to negotiate better with the sauna boys than you will with his tutoring fees. :-)

Tchau,

- Drey

• 3 weeks later...

My friend Mark just ended his first visit to Brasil. He liked it so much, he called work and extended his trip an extra 9 days. His only regret was that he hadn~t studied the portuguese cds i gave him--just toooo busy. I took him to Professor Clayton and Mark~s ability to communicate improved dramatically. Thanks for your help with a difficult sudent! Time well spent indeed!!:+

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dreynsol

In another post, I stated:

>>>>>

Two o´clock I met Clayton for an hour Portuguese session. We went over common words used in the saunas (especially the dirty ones) , verb tenses, and then conversational reading. He was on time, very prepared, extremely patient and made the experience fun.

<<<<<

Today, I had my last session with Clayton and he was again prompt and professional. I especially liked his graphic guide to conversing with the sauna boys. I have been studying Portuguese for almost a year now, and there were words and phrases that I wasn´t aware of.

I would definitely recommend Clayton´s services and his classes are tailored to our M4M interests without interrupting your sauna time. :9

- Drey

• 2 months later...

While I was in Rio last week, I had several Portuguese lessons with Clayton. I can highly recommend him.

He was prompt at every session; he brought appropriate teaching materials; he is fun to spend time with; he was very patient with me when I got lost in the language.

To give some perspective, I have a fairly good grasp of Spanish grammar and can get by in Rio but do not understand their fast speech. Clayton was very helpful in broadening my tenuous hold on their language.

Dick

Guest jairo

I would like to say how much I enjoyed my lessons with Clayton. I am a foreign language teacher and know something about learning languages; Portuguese is my third foreign language. Clayton uses the Brazilian series "Ben-vindo!" which is used in many universities in the US.

He always arrives on time and is well-prepared. He will do an informal diagnostic test to gauge your level, perhaps by having you read or engage in conversation, if you have studied Portuguese before.

Most important, he is funny and can talk about a wide range of subjects. I really looked forward to my lessons with him because he is very friendly and an all-around nice guy.

I have studied with tutors in two other foreign languages in the past and I can tell you that Clayton is one of the best. It also helps that he speaks relatively little English; you have to communicate in Portuguese (and that's a good thing!).

You will not regret your lessons with Clayton. Even with the stronger 'real' it is money well-spent. :7

Archived