16th november in Rio

xchris
This topic is 7148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My fourth time in Rio.

Just one week and then back to Venice.

Must solve some bureaucracy for a long-term stay in the next year.

Any idea where to find a "contador" who is enough specialized in foreign people and their problem-questioning?

The property of an apt. is in itself something to declare in our brazilian income?

After these works, I hope I'll have larger space to dedicate to our best hobby: hunting and contemplating.

My friend Carlos is waiting for me in our apt. in Flamengo.

After I'll finish renovating and refurnishing, I'll organize a SPRITZ Party on the terrace and invite you. But this is not thios year, I guess.

Hope the old friends Felipe and Nick (from Tower) will be around, so to enlarge the festival team.

I've met several cariocas and paulistas in Europe this year, garotos playing in spanish and italian saunas.

This Richady (Breno) under UOMINI-Milano was interesting, tall and long haired:

http://www.italiachiamami.com/prova1copybis.htm

Hope to see you there.

CHRIS

Guest davenida

May I make a suggestion--after not only buying an apartment, car, etc., plus moving two containers full of furniture including a grand piano to Rio from the US? My suggestion is that you get an attorney before you get an accountant. An attorney who is politically hooked up and speaks very good English is not only a plus it is really necessary. In addition, an referral to an attorney from someone who has used him/her is a really good idea.

I confirm: you will definitely need an attorney to solve the bureaucracy and real estate problems.

You should contact the consulate of Brazil which could give you preliminary information. They will tell you whether there is a convention between the USA and Brazil or not.

I am faced with the same problems. As a frenchman, I shall declare my real estate incomes in France and others incomes in Brazil. I need to go through special procedures before I travel.

Chris --

There is a tax treaty between Brazil and Italy. (See http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/Legislacao/AcordosInternacionais/AcordosDuplaTrib.htm#It%e1lia) I haven't found the full text, but you should be able to get a copy of the Italian text from the tax authority in Italy. There may be an exemption for pension income (at least any public pension income) and provisions to avoid double taxation.

In Brazil you will have to declare your entire patrimony with your tax return, listing any property you own ANYWHERE, including Italy. with your tax return. However, you don't owe income tax on any of that property. It's just a way for the Brazilian tax authorities to check if someone's declared income matches their resources and lifestyle. There are separate property taxes (like IPTU) that you pay to the municipality on any property you own in Brazil. You always have to pay those, even if you aren't a resident.

I went to Ernst & Young for information. (http://www.ey.com.br) It was expensive, but reliable, because they deal all the time with tax preparation for foreigners working in Brazil. Their offices are in Botafogo. Here's their information:

Ernst & Young

Praia de Botafogo, 300 - 13º andar

Botafogo

Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22250-040

Tel.: (21) 2554-1400

Fax: (21) 2554-1500

Ernst & Young verified that unless you have income that is exempt from taxation under the tax treaty, you will have to pay Brazilian income tax on ALL your income, whether it comes from Italy, Brazil or anywhere else. The only general exception I've found is if you have a major medical condition (heart disease, AIDS, etc.) certified by a public doctor in Brazil. In that case, your PENSION income (from anywhere) is not taxable. Any other income (like wages, rents, etc.) would still be taxable.

I hope this helps?

Wow, Tri

Seem you should open an agency by your own. You are so helpful and detailded in your infos.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it, and try to talk to some advocado there. Even if I'm not retired yet, it is the case to clarify what I have to declare and pay in Brasil, or if there is a legitimate tourism lenght of time to share here and there, six months here and six months there or so.

Little by little I'll get the target, and the complete infos will be shared with you all.

Valew, A presto

CHRIS

RE: 180-day requirement

Legally, you can stay in Brazil as a tourist (in other words, a non-resident) for a maximum of 180 days per calendar year. I finally discovered the reason for this when I was researching Brazilian tax requirements for foreign residents. Brazilian tax law defines anyone who has been in the country for more than 180 days in the tax year (which is the same as the calendar year) as a resident for tax purposes, no matter what their visa or immigration status is.

There is some doubt about whether Brazil can track the total number of days a visitor has been there. In the past, this information wasn't computerized and there wasn't any way to determine the total amount of time a person had been in Brazil without reading all the stamps in their passport. However, a recent posting here reported that the information may now have been computerized. If that's true, I guess I'll find out because I will probably have been in Brazil for more than 180 days this year! If I get caught, you all will be among the first to know! :D

P.S. Look at my earlier posting in this thread again. I edited it to make it more clear and added E&Y's contact information.

Archived