Apartments in Rio

jivau3930
This topic is 7178 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have been in Rio since September 4. I rented an apartment through Carlo, located at Rua Ministro Viveiros de Castro, #62. I have rented this apartment for 2 months - paid in advance (never again). Carlo told me there would be NO problem with guests - according to the owner. However, the management has a different view. I won´t go into details but would stongly suggest that anyone interested in renting an apartment STAY AWAY from any apartment located at the above address!!!! Carlo admitted to me that I was the first gay that had rented the apartment. The manager is an old BITCH who would look well in a Nazi SS uniform. Tenants seem to be mostly OLD ladies with blue hair. Management is NOT gay-friendly!!

The apartment is large - I actually don´t need 2.5 baths and I´ve only used the stove to boil water. I will move to Odilo Lima´s apartment on Nov. 4.

Everything else arranged by Carlo has been exceptional - trip to Iguacu for Michel and me, trip to Sao Paulo, and 5 days in the jungle.

However, always in the back of my mind was the fact that I had to return to that damned apartment!!

I would like to bring up some questions and possibly enlighten some first time rio visitors to some potential problems.

First of all, i have had nothing but good experiences using Carlo Romanus and think that this apartment rental experience was an error beyond his control which knowing Carlo will be rectified. It seems as if the owner of the apartment was one upped by the live in manager and this was not anticipated (although should have been by the owner). I feel the owner needs to recompense you for your lack of satisfaction. I think the board would like to hear the outcome of this negotiation. I would not hesitate to use Carlo for any and all travel arrangements and other negotiations in Brazil and I imagine you will see a reply from him.

Number 2 - most of the Rio visitors know a bit about potential problems by having garotos in their apartment BUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE FALLS VERY SHORT OF BEING ABLE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES AND THE OWNERS OF THE LODGING. Much of the following has been stated time and time again BUT IS NOT FOLLOWED TO THE DEGREE IT NEEDS TO BE.

I flew back from Rio last night and the gentleman in the seat next to me is a seasoned Rio traveler and owns and rents numerous apartments although he specializes in straight men traveleing to Rio for fun. My comments here come from numerous experiences having friends stay in my apartement as well as information I received from him. I have the lease on a large temporary apartment and enjoy sharing it with friends who are all VERY SEASONED RIO VISITORS yet have not been able to protect themselves, me, or the ambience of the building from problems. It is a two sided coin - if a visitor does not take precautions it makes it difficult for the apartment owner/lesee to be liberal about visitors. The management of my building is up in arms due to a visit from the police a week ago and has made for an uncomfortable situation. As i am building a villa for myself and for some visitors - it is hard to face the reality of the threats to security posed by garotos preying on tourists and just say that is it - NO MORE LOCAL VISITORS. But if there do not exist some safeguards, all will be better off using the motels for overnites.

You can not leave any item of value unattended for one second. If you do not have your money, camera, cellphone, passport under lock and key 100% of the time - you will run the risk of theft OR WORSE a scene involving the garoto where the police can be summoned. It has been said time and time again yet everyone sees there is no need to follow it 100% and since March, my guests have lost cameras, cell phones, money, and other sundry items. The police in Rio are no laughing matter and residents of my building are very much afraid of police involvement.

If you think that because you know the garoto, or he works in the sauna and is therefore safe for an overnight, or his ID has been checked and therefore you are 100% safe - you are mistaken. There are numerous schemes afoot - garotos working in duos, etc that complicate the situation.

The man in the seat next to me last night had much to share about issues of Rio security and how the system works. It appears that Copacabana is relatively safe BUT ONCE LOCAL RESIDENTS ARE IN YOUR RESIDENCE - ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONTENTS, THE SECURITY OR LACK THEREOF ARE COMMON KNOWLEDGE AND CAN BE USED DETRIMENTALLY.

If you are staying at the Atlantico, it is probably very safe to have overnights as long as you follow common sense rules 100% - NO DEVIATIONS. If you rent an apartment or are a guest in a private apartment - your safety and the securtiy of the apartment owner depend on your being wise. Unless you know how the system works and the possible threats against your life and property, you would be better off keeping your residence private. There is safety in numbers and when you are by yourself with a garoto, expect the unexpected to occur once in a while and do not be surprised to find yourself in a sticky situation.

Rio is great and much fun to be had by hanging out with friends and the locals. But - any time you relax common sense following of suggestions, the whole system gets out of whack and potential and sometimes dangerous and costly situations occur.

There's not much more to add to what Gulliver has posted. Visitors to Rio don't need to be paranoid; the vast majority of visitors have no problems at all. But Brazil isn't tropical Disneyland; it's a very real place with extreme poverty and all the problems that generates. The experienced "old Rio hands" among us constantly remind folks, especially first-timers, to use COMMON SENSE:

1) Keep your valuables secure (and out of sight).

2) Don't bring guys you don't know back to your place; stick with the saunas or the motels.

3) If you're not sure about a guy, ASK one of the regulars (either Brazilian or gringo) if they know the object of your attentions and if he's trustworthy. If nobody knows the guy, apply number 2, above!

4) Don't risk being outnumbered, or having one guy going through your stuff while the other one is plowing you. If you're into group scenes, apply number 2, above!

This is especially true if you're staying at an apartment where there's no front desk and security system like at the hotels. It's also why most of the hotels want "visitors" checked in. A guy will think twice about ripping you off if he knows the hotel has his ID information! Some of the hotels hold the "visitor's" ID at the desk and won't return it until they've phoned your room to check that everything's OK and it's all right for your "visitor" to leave. This is for YOUR protection!!! Take advantage of it, rather than evading it.

As we've said so many times before, Brazil has a way of dazzling you and putting you off your guard (especially first-timers). Keep your wits about you, be sensible, and you should be fine! 'Nuff said, I think!

On my last trip in May, we rented a beautiful 3 bedroom apartment that was very secure. To get into the property,either walking or driving, you pass through security. There was also 24 hour security guard at the entrance to each elevator.

When I was negotiating the terms of the short term lease, I was told that we could not bring anyone up who we did not know. I let the owner know that Wan Hallen would be with me, and I specifically put him into the rental agreement. Without the high level of security, the owner probably would not have let me have Wan Hallen stay with me. All in all, I think I prefer the Atlantico.

I too, think the problem I had was beyound Carlo´s control. As Carlo told me, ``We can´t control the managements comments, looks, thoughts or homophobic ideas``. We did get access to my apartment for my friend Michel and Russo - no problem. I usually stay in Odilo Lima´s apartment and there has been no problem having guests. I´ll be moving back to Odilo´s apartment November 4!! As for Carlo, I couldn´t agree with Gulliver more!!! Carlo arranged a 4 day tour of Foz do Iguacu for me and Michel. The arrangements were perfect. Guides arranged by Carlo showed up on time and we really were treated like royalth. Carlo arranged a week in Sao Paulo for me. The Residencia Alameda was excellent - the management seemed to welcome visitors to their guests rooms. The guide choosen for me by Carlo was a perfect choice. Carlo also arranged 6 days in Amazonia. Again, the arrangements could not have been better. I fell in love with Fabio. the 22 year old guide in Amazonia and the Pousada Amazonia was a perfect choice for me.

In all cases, airport transfers were on time and all the drivers were extremely helpful.

I have never met anyone that tries so hard to satisfy a client as Carlo. I stand by my comments regarding that damned apartment. However, the managements attitude has saved me money - I have not entertained as many visitors as I normally would and will when I move to Odilo´s apartment. However, when I have no problems with access to 2 of the biggest dicks in Rio - Michel and Russo, who could ask for anything more!

Archived