A Quick Question

Big Daddy
This topic is 7184 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I want to take Wan Hallen a pair of tennis shoes when I return in November. He tells me that he wears a 43-44. I checked out shoe size conversion charts, and the only one that looks appropriate is from a European chart. Do Brazilians use the European system. If not, does anyone know what a Brazilian size 43-44 translate to.

I am arriving November 4th and we will be staying at the Atlantico. I will be there until December 3rd. Looking forward to seeing my gringo friends again, and meeting new friends. This is my third trip in a year. Wan Hallen was telling me that he wants to come to the United States and I want to go to Brazil. He was asking what I know about the US that he does not know that makes me want to be in Brazil. Where do I start? George Bush is a good starting point. It is hard for me to explain the magical effect that Brazil has on me to Wan Hallen. All I know is that when I am in Brazil and with Wan Hallen, I am a happy camper.

BRAZILIAN SHOE SIZE CHARTS

Shoe sizes in Brazil are tricky. Brazilian men's shoe sizes are one number LOWER than their European equivalent (so add 1 to the Brazilian size to know the European size). I copied these charts from some Brazilian websites. As you can see, this is not an exact science!!! The Brazilian shoe size is shown first, followed by its U.S. equivalent:

39 = 7.5

40 = 8

41.5 = 8.5

42 = 9

42.5 = 9.5

43 = 10

43.5 = 10.5

44 = 11

44.5 = 11.5

(I've bought size 11.5 athletic shoes for my BF, who wears a Brazilian size 44.)

Another chart I think may not be quite as accurate shows these equivalents:

38 = 7 - 7.5

39 = 8

40 = 8.5 - 9

41 = 9.5

42 = 10 - 10.5

43 = 11 - 11.5

44 = 12

45 = 13

If you're buying athletic shoes, err on the side of getting a slightly larger size. Any difference can always be made up by wearing thicker socks! If you get something too small, there's no fixing it.

RE: BRAZILIAN SHOE SIZE CHARTS

Thanks, Tri. I had said size 43 was 9 American because I saw that in a Berlitz language book. But according to you, the Berlitz book must have been wrong. So as not to bring the wrong size sneakers, is it possible to get the most famous American brands there in Rio. And is there a big difference in price from the United States?

The chart in the Berlitz book seems to be inaccurate. Maybe someone there assumed that Brazilian and European sizes are the same, since they use the same numbering system.

In any case, the charts I posted are more accurate and you should be able to find shoes in the U.S. that correspond to Brazilian sizes.

Brand name athletic shoes are sold in Brazil. The very latest models available in Europe or the U.S.A. may not be on sale there yet (and the guys know their athletic shoe fashions). The shoes can be considerably more expensive in Brazil than in the U.S. if they're imported models (after all, Brazil has a huge domestic shoe industry to protect). Also, it's hard to find any kind of selection in Brazil in the larger sizes, as Brazilians tend to be smaller than Americans and Europeans. The smaller sizes sell better in Brazil, so that's where the selection is.

While we're at it, you'll find Brazil (and Argentina) great places to shop for good quality, fashionable shoes for yourself at extremely reasonable prices, unless you have very large feet. You can find very nice shoes in popular North American/European styles at Mr. Cat, a chain that has numerous stores around town and in the big shopping centers. There are many other shoe store chains, though, so shop around! Just leave room in your suitcases for your new purchases!

When I checked the European conversion chart, I knew that it had to be different from Brazil. Wan Hallen is a big boy, 6'2" and no way would my "cinderfella" fit into a size 9 Nike. The pair of tennis shoes that I am getting him cost about $100 less in the US than in Brazil. I am getting size 11 1/2. Wan Hallen plays for his "colegio's" basketball team, and will be playing in a national tournament in Brasilia next week. His younger brother plays on the Brasilian National Junior basketball team. He has promised to give me some photos of him playing. Maybe I can get him a visa to come to the US to attend basketball school.

>Shoe sizes in Brazil are tricky. Brazilian men's shoe sizes

>are one number LOWER than their European equivalent

If you look at the chart online at

http://www.zemanshoe.com/footwear/enspecification.php

you will find a two-number difference between Brazil and the European Union sizes. The online chart translates into UK, but not US measures -- Brazil 43 is UK 9; UK sizes are one lower than US, so it would be US 10.

I would buy size 11, and an extra pair of socks in case the fit is loose. But I only buy New Balance, because they come in Wide and Extra Wide sizes. Asian sweatshops plan to conquer the world by squeezing everyone's feet into narrow shoes.

Archived