5 Hours in Sao Paulo

asdsrfr
This topic is 7178 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On my way back to the US, I have a five hour layover in Sao Paulo. I am coming from Forteleza that day and that is the only connection I could get.

I have never been to Sao Paulo and I was wondering if that is enough time to venture from the airport either to see any city sites--or to visit the apparently famous "Lagoa."

Probably not. Guarulhos International Airport (GRU), which must be where you're landing, is a 40 minute drive from town when there's little traffic. When there's bad traffic (not at all uncommon in SP) it can take 90 minutes or more. By the time you get to Lagoa, and then have to go back, you might have 2 hours of sauna time, at a max. I wouldn't risk it; you could end up missing your international flight home.

An alternative: Try leaving Fortaleza a day early and spend a night in SP. That would give you time to have a quick look at the city, sample Lagoa, and then head to Guarulhos for your flight home the next evening. If you do this, I'd suggest staying at a hotel around Av. Paulista, which is a bit closer to Lagoa, and where there is direct express bus service from the major hotels to Guarulhos. Just book a night at a hotel that's one of the bus stops! (Carlo could help you with this.) If you do this, try to find a flight from Fortaleza that takes you to the in-town Congonhas (CGH) domestic airport, which is also closer to Av. Paulista and Lagoa.

If you do this, DON'T CUT YOUR TIME FOR GETTING TO GRU TIGHT! Be there at least 3 hours before your flight (meaning that you need to be on a bus that leaves town 4 hours before your flight). Even though the police strike is over, there are long lines at GRU, especially to get through the Federal Police into the international departures lounge. Don't risk missing your flight home!

Archived