I've Written Carlo from Romanus

StillLovely
This topic is 7193 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well gang, I've started the ball rolling. I've written Carlo from Romanus and asked that he reserve me a double room or a suite at the Atlantico. I've also asked him for airport transfers and for the first night I'm there, a guided tour of the saunas and bars. More than the saunas, I'm more interested in the hustler bars and discos. But based on everything I've read here, I'll give the saunas a try.

As you all know, my heart is breaking from a breakup with my Dominican boyfriend, and I'm hoping Rio can help with the healing process.

I'd just like to know if the email address I used for Carlo is best for him. I sent the email to romanusrj@uol.com.br.

As far as I know that's the best address. Sometimes he's a bit swamped, but he'll answer in a day or two.

Also remember that you need a visa for Brazil, so if you don't have one yet you need to get started on that. However, don't get the visa too soon, because it must be used for the first time within 30 days of issuance. After that, it's good for the five years for which it's issued.

Thanks, Tri. I was wondering about the time frames with the Visa. You are ALWAYS a plethora of information!

BTW, I assume you will be at the Thanksgiving dinner at the Marriott. (I will confirm on that thread once I've bought my airline ticket.) But I would love to meet you before Thanksgiving. Your posts are one of the reasons I'm taking this trip. Of course the main reason is I need to get away from the Dominican drama for a bit. But if you should have the time, I'd love to meet for a drink or something. I'm tentatively planning on arriving Saturday, November 20th and departing Friday, November 26th (the day after Thanksgiving).

Once you've got your itinerary from the travel agency showing a confirmed reservation, apply for the visa in the third or fourth week BEFORE your departure. If you live in a city with a Brazilian consulate (or within driving distance of one) it's fairly easy. Print out the form from the consulate or embassy website, fill it out in duplicate (but do not sign it until you go to the consulate), get your photos, arrange for a cashier's check or money order for the required fees, etc. At the consulate itself, if you drop off your passport in the morning it's sometimes possible to get it back with the visa that afternoon, particularly if you're from out-of-town and can't easily return to pick it up. Otherwise, you can usually pick up the passport on the following day.

If you live too far from a consulate to do it yourself, you'll need a visa service to get it for you, and this is an extra cost. A good local travel agent should be able to recommend a reliable visa service. It'll probably cost you as much as the visa itself for the service to do it for you.

I'll be at the Thanksgiving dinner, and will be back in Rio after November 5th.

>As far as I know that's the best address. Sometimes he's a

>bit swamped, but he'll answer in a day or two.

>

>Also remember that you need a visa for Brazil, so if you don't

>have one yet you need to get started on that. However, don't

>get the visa too soon, because it must be used for the first

>time within 30 days of issuance. After that, it's good for

>the five years for which it's issued.

Not quiet sure if you made a mistake regarding you visa info. My visa states it must be used within 90 days of issuance, not 30 as you have stated above.

WT

Oops! You're right! It IS 90 days from issuance. I got confused by the fact that (for some reason) the consulates discourage people from applying more than 30 days before the trip.

By the way, be SURE to make your first use within that 90 days. I've heard of people getting turned back IN BRAZIL when the immigration inspector realized that someone arrived after the 90 days expired! (The airline didn't catch it at the check-in desk and allowed the passenger to fly.)

Also be sure there is at least six months validity left on your passport before you apply. (A number of countries, including Brazil, require that for issuing a visa.)

Archived