Buying An Apartment in Rio...

goingtorio
This topic is 7241 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I did this adventure.

I have a friend in Rio who helped me, and also Tri gave me some ideas.

The first problem is: how have your money in Brasil.

You need a Bank Account, which is not so easy to obtein. Usually the bank ask you for a CPF, and a proof of your residence in Brsail, and then a identity card or a driving license issued in Brasil.

You can obtein this with the help of a resident friend.

Tri suggested to use the help of Carlo Rio as well.

Prices range from 70-80.000 reais for a small apt in side neighborhood, say Tijuca, to 150 in Gloria or Catete, to 200-300.000 of a decent apartment in Copacabana. Ipanema is more expensive. Newer places, and ocean view is more expensive of course.

This seem to be easy, but you must understand that the beaurocracy in Brasil is slow, and what is normal at your home, is axceptionl event in Brasil. I had problems to exchange high notes of euros at the central Banco do Brasil at Centro, and had to wait for three hours just to talk with an attendant there... And had to change the details of my Sends because the bank want to know what is happening, and have their way to proceed. Very slow. Not a great service indeed.

But if you have time, and enjoy your stay in the meanwhile, tyhings could happen.

Next time I would like to built some by myself...

Ciao

CHRIS

for a brazilian business agent i and others have used check out lifestyles.com.br which is owned by boris.

Carlo Romano is absolutely the ideal person to ask for support in any brazilian operations. He is a classy, well spoken, and extremely informed about all areas.

>for a brazilian business agent i and others have used check

>out lifestyles.com.br

I have tried to access that site without success using both Explorer and Netscape. The message "no such URL" appears. If I omit the .br, I am directed to a website that sells "lifestyle" condoms.

Do you have a better website address for the brazilian business agent you and others used? Thanks.

1) If you haven't already, please read the FAQ thread on Establishing Yourself in Brazil.

2) You can easily check real estate prices by reading the classifieds online at http://oglobo.globo.com Of course, you'll need Portuguese for this. If you can get a paper copy of the Sunday Globo where you live the real estate classified section begins with a useful chart showing high/low/average prices and rentals for apartments in neighborhoods around Rio.

3) You will need a good agent/lawyer. Title problems are rampant here, and you need an expert to go through all the paperwork to be sure the seller/owner actually is the proprietor and can legally sell/rent the property. Otherwise, there could be liens, etc. you don't know anything about.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...
Guest davenida

It's been four months since you posted your question about buying an apartment in Rio; but I just read it.

I bought an apartment there almost five years ago; and I plan to retire there. I am certainly not sorry. However, you should get a good lawyer whom you can trust to handle EVERYTHING for you. If you do not do this it is a probability that you will regret it. Very probable.

If you possibly can, buy an apartment right on the beach. These apartments do not loose value; and if you refurbish them, you can most likely make money on them. I bought mine (three bedrooms, veranda, foyer, living room, dining room, maid's room, laundry room, a "garden", and four bathrooms) on Avenida Atlantica for $100,000.00. It is now worth about $200,000.00 if not a little more.

Archived