Ano Novo in Rio?

CT Dick
This topic is 7483 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi guys, when it does not rain, Rio`s New Year party is really terrific. More than 2 milion people on Copacabana beach...most people dress in white and get high. Some beach shows can be very good, depending on which style of brazilian music your into. The main point for gays is " Barraca da Fátima". The same lady and the same location of her beach barraca, where the rainbow flag is during the day. People gather there to have fun with the fireworks,etc. The atmosphere at Barraca da Fátima is very open. People kiss each other. Older with young hustlers, plain gay cariocas and tourists. It´s a nice ocasion for meeting young men from out of Rio also. Last year I was there with a british friend and he and a quite young 17/18 boy hooked up (the boy´s first time! Even that!!)After the midnight comemorations, go to the show you think you´ll enjoy the most or to a friend´s party. By 3 am Estação Sauna has a tradition to open with many boys.

I´ve going there fot the last 2 years and have had much fun and sex. A memorable encounter with Kevin and another beautiful boy. Heard that this year Point 202 will also be open...after hours. Increadible things happen on the beach. It seems that on that night just about anything goes as far as sex and fun are concerned. Another traditional gay spot for the event is Maxims´s. But to get a table over there you have to arrive quite early and have to stay there. I enjoy being able to move from one place to another just walking. Forget about cars, buses and taxis. The traffic will be horrible, so stay close or in walking distances from the many places you may want to party. Incontrus can be fun also. It´s a peaceful but busy night. Enjoy the feast and have a wonderful 2004.

Felipe

Felipe, thanks for the good suggestions and observations. New Year's in Rio is really special; I'm glad I'll be here for it this year!

Guys, the locations Felipe mentions are at the intersection of Av. Atlântica and r. Fernando Mendes, the corner where Maxim's and the Hotel Excelsior are located. Fátima is one of the two long-time food/refreshment vendors on the gay beach (located virtually in front of the Excelsior). Av. Atlântica will be closed to traffic, so there will be a large gay crowd milling, meeting and greeting on the street right at that intersection, in front of Maxim's, especially after the fireworks display ends. Be sure to position yourself where you'll be able to see the finale, a spectacular cascade of fireworks from the top of the Meridien hotel. Very impressive!

New Year's Eve is also the feast day of Iemanjá, the African goddess of the sea, so it's an important day for millions of Brazilians who come to make offerings and ask for blessings in the new year (that's what the shrines and offerings of flowers and perfumes are for). It's customary to wear all-white clothing on New Year's eve in honor of Iemanjá, so if you want to blend in with the locals, plan to do the same! If you want to have dinner before the festivities, reserve EARLY (as in right now) because the economy here is starting to recover and they expect sell-out crowds of locals and tourists this New Year's. Trattoria, on Fernando Mendes around the corner from Maxim's, does a nice New Year's Eve dinner for around R$100, but it's small so it'll fill up fast, and you'll need to bring cash because they're one of the few places in town that doesn't take credit cards.

If you're not staying in Copacabana, go ahead of time to the metro to buy your ticket if that's how you'll be coming, because for New Year's Eve they're only sold in advance and are only good for the time slot marked. This is to avoid dangerous overcrowding in the stations and on the trains and platforms. This year should be a bit better because there are now two stations in Copacabana to handle the crowds, instead of only one.

Have a great time if you're here for New Year's. It's an unforgettable experience that makes Times Square seem remarkably puny and dull! :D

No, the Siqueira Campos station is the newest station and the current end of the line. There's also the older Cardeal Arcoverde station that had been open for several years. Both are in Copacabana. The Arcoverde station used to get absolutely jammed on New Year's; with another station to serve the crowds it shouldn't be as crowded as in the past. There will eventually be at least two more stations on this line, one further down in Copacabana, at Cantagalo, and the planned terminus at Praça Osório in Ipanema. Some year, I would hope, they'll extend the line to Leblon and out to Barra.

Oi Trilingual,

I have been enjoying yours and of course other M4Mers posts and I missed the party because of a terrible accident at 117. I´m never lucky in that place for some unknown reason. But again, reading the posts, I know that we eat and enjoy Siqueira Grill and now I´m curious to meet some of you. So, can we arrage a dinner sometime at the Siqueira Grill ? By the way, I live in Leme.

Take care,

Felipe

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CT -

Will be here until the 31st. Unfortunately can't make Anos Novo this year. Think you have my cel - give a shout. Will be great to see you.

Jake

My holiday travels are about to begin so I'll be away from the computer.

Again, I'll be arriving in Rio on the 28th. If I don't run into any of you at the Atläntico or one of the saunas, I'll see you evenings at Corujinha's.

I'm looking forward to seeing familiar M4Mers again and meeting some new ones.

Dick

Archived