tipping in hotels in Rio

Mike_M
This topic is 7534 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm headed to the airport now to go to Rio for a week and remembered a tipping question I've been meaning to ask since my trip last year. How do you guys generally tip for the chambermaids and breakfast personnel? I realize to a certain extent gratuities are considered included, as in restaurants. I was impressed, however, by the friendliness of the staff I encountered last year when I stayed in a little hotel in Catete and when leaving, not knowing what to do, I left extra money with the front desk and left wondering if it would ever reach the intended parties. I never really saw the cleaning ladies except in the halls and they seemed to always be different, so it didn't seem right to tip just one. Also the dining room staff were so nice I thought I would want to give something, but they also seemed to vary a lot. What do you guys do?

Most Brazilian hotels include a 10% service charge. Presumably it gets divided among the staff. (For their sake, I sure hope so!) The service charge may be incorporated in your daily rate, or added on -- hotels vary in their practice.

When calculating a tip, remember that in Brazil R$1 has approximately the same buying power as US$1 has in the U.S. (For example, bus fare is around R$1.50, and a working person's lunch can be had for less than R$5.) Tip the bellman R$1 a bag, or for taking you to your room and showing you how to turn on the air-conditioning and TV. You can leave the maid R$1 - 2 per day. If you're worried that different maids work on different days, just do it on a daily basis, leaving the money on your pillow. Or leave a sum at the end. Often I also leave multi-ride metro tickets with rides remaining on them along with the tip. It isn't customary to tip the breakfast room staff, any more than it's customary to tip at a buffet restaurant where you serve yourself. (At the por kilo restaurants, a 10% service charge is built into your bill.)

All hotels have a "kitty" at the desk for pooled tips. In Portuguese it's called a "caixinha," pron. "kai-shee-nyuh" (where the "kai" rhymes with "guy"). You can always leave R$10 or more for the "caixinha" at the desk when you're checking out. It'll be appreciated.

it's called a "caixinha,"

I never knew this, thanks for posting it. You seem to get a little bit of acknowledged respect when you do something that the locals may not know that you know. For instance the little doggie bags for the poor with your left overs in it. I'm sure when I give a little for the "caixinha" it will go down well.

Will we be able to pump you during october Tri? (for other little titbits?)

Why should October be any different? ;) Feel free to pump, as long as I'm not being otherwised pumped, if you get my meaning (and I know you do!) :p But please, guys, remember the FAQ and the search function first! That'll give me a little more time to get pumped in the non-question arena!

I usually leave R$10 per day for the maid, and THEY LOVE ME! What with all the extra towels I require, they really deserve it too.

I did ask my Portugese teacher about this and she suggested R$5 would be appropriate. When I told her I gave R$10, she laughed and said they must really appreciate my visit. I smiled and thought to myself, "That's the idea." SF Traveler

Archived