Anyone using UAL from LAX to Rio in late October?

imrthr
This topic is 7560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello fellow posters: Although I often travel to many and various countries throughout the world, I have never been to South America. After reading numerous postings on this board concerning Rio, I did more research on Rio and made travel plans to leave LAX on October 22 and return October 29 (these dates can be changed). I would like to know if anyone from this board, who has been to Rio, is traveling on United Airlines to Rio from LAX around the time of my trip. If so, I would like to have a personal conversation and possible meeting for dinner or lunch. This posting is not a solicitation for a date. Nor is this posting a request for sharing costs and anything like that. Generally I do not mind traveling alone, but, in view of the caveats that I have read on this board, I prefer to travel with someone, but not "hang-out" with a fellow traveler. In short, I am looking solely for an experienced Rio traveler on a platonic basis for my first Rio trip. Of course, if I do not find someone, I still plan to make the trip.

Hello fellow posters: Although I often travel to many and various countries throughout the world, I have never been to South America. After reading numerous postings on this board concerning Rio, I did more research on Rio and made travel plans to leave LAX on October 22 and return October 29 (these dates can be changed). I would like to know if anyone from this board, who has been to Rio, is traveling on United Airlines to Rio from LAX around the time of my trip. If so, I would like to have a personal conversation and possible meeting for dinner or lunch. This posting is not a solicitation for a date. Nor is this posting a request for sharing costs and anything like that. Generally I do not mind traveling alone, but, in view of the caveats that I have read on this board, I prefer to travel with someone, but not "hang-out" with a fellow traveler. In short, I am looking solely for an experienced Rio traveler on a platonic basis for my first Rio trip. Of course, if I do not find someone, I still plan to make the trip.

Guest Tomcal_

Imrthr, There are 5 of us from the L.A. area that are going to Rio in Oct. but all are on either American or Continental and all are leaving within a day or two either side of your dates. Shoot me an amail and we can try to get together for dinner before Rio. I have met the other 4 guys, but they haven't had a chance to meet each other yet.

Guest Tomcal_

Imrthr, There are 5 of us from the L.A. area that are going to Rio in Oct. but all are on either American or Continental and all are leaving within a day or two either side of your dates. Shoot me an amail and we can try to get together for dinner before Rio. I have met the other 4 guys, but they haven't had a chance to meet each other yet.

However, there's nothing in particular to be apprehensive about. It's like landing in virtually any other city. Please note that in Brazil and Argentina, you're allowed to shop at the duty free shop UPON ARRIVAL, so if you need liquor, cigarettes, cologne, etc. you can pick it up in Rio when you get there and not have to carry it with you from your home country. The duty free is in the baggage claim area. Just claim your bags, put them on one of the free carts, and park it at the entrance with the cute attendant.

Once you've shopped and cleared Customs, just look for the booths right outside the Customs area operated by the taxi cooperatives (ignoring the touts) and buy a radio taxi voucher to your destination. They take credit cards, and the fare should be around R$52 to Copacabana. This is more expensive than the common street cabs, but also more comfortable (nicer cars) and hassle-free. If the two of you are traveling together to the same hotel, the fare will be the same so you can split it.

Once you've checked in (presumably at the Atlântico) walk over to the Citibank ATM next to the the Blockbuster on Av. Copacabana at the corner of Figueiredo Magalhães (about three blocks) or the HSBC branch on the same block, and get cash. Then you're good to go for whatever else strikes your fancy! If you end up with all large bills (R$50 and higher) try to get some smaller denominations at the hotel front desk, because making change is frequently a bit of a hassle in Brazil with large bills.

BTW, if you're getting together with Tomcal before you go, see if he doesn't have a few stray reais (R$10 or 20) he can sell you so you have some tip money available before you hit the ATM. However, don't change money in the U.S., you'll get a rotten rate. Wait until you arrive in Brazil. If you don't want to wait until you get downtown to get cash, you should be able to find ATMs in the airport, upstairs on the second level where there are shops and other services. Just take the elevator upstairs.

However, there's nothing in particular to be apprehensive about. It's like landing in virtually any other city. Please note that in Brazil and Argentina, you're allowed to shop at the duty free shop UPON ARRIVAL, so if you need liquor, cigarettes, cologne, etc. you can pick it up in Rio when you get there and not have to carry it with you from your home country. The duty free is in the baggage claim area. Just claim your bags, put them on one of the free carts, and park it at the entrance with the cute attendant.

Once you've shopped and cleared Customs, just look for the booths right outside the Customs area operated by the taxi cooperatives (ignoring the touts) and buy a radio taxi voucher to your destination. They take credit cards, and the fare should be around R$52 to Copacabana. This is more expensive than the common street cabs, but also more comfortable (nicer cars) and hassle-free. If the two of you are traveling together to the same hotel, the fare will be the same so you can split it.

Once you've checked in (presumably at the Atlântico) walk over to the Citibank ATM next to the the Blockbuster on Av. Copacabana at the corner of Figueiredo Magalhães (about three blocks) or the HSBC branch on the same block, and get cash. Then you're good to go for whatever else strikes your fancy! If you end up with all large bills (R$50 and higher) try to get some smaller denominations at the hotel front desk, because making change is frequently a bit of a hassle in Brazil with large bills.

BTW, if you're getting together with Tomcal before you go, see if he doesn't have a few stray reais (R$10 or 20) he can sell you so you have some tip money available before you hit the ATM. However, don't change money in the U.S., you'll get a rotten rate. Wait until you arrive in Brazil. If you don't want to wait until you get downtown to get cash, you should be able to find ATMs in the airport, upstairs on the second level where there are shops and other services. Just take the elevator upstairs.

>There is a good chance we will be on the same departure

>flight heading down as I plan to use United on the 22nd of

>October.

Thanks Jack- Apparently there is no direct or non-stop flight to Rio from LAX. United goes through IAD, ORD, MIA or JFK on its way to Rio. My flight goes through IAD then on to Rio via Sao Paulo. Are you on the IAD routing? After I meet with Tomcal, if your schedule and mine are compatible, perhaps we can meet prior to our mutual October 22nd departure. Cheers.

>However, there's nothing in particular to be apprehensive

>about. It's like landing in virtually any other city.

>

>Once you've shopped and cleared Customs, just look for the

>booths right outside the Customs area operated by the taxi

>cooperatives (ignoring the touts) and buy a radio taxi voucher

>to your destination. They take credit cards, and the fare

>should be around R$52 to Copacabana. This is more expensive

>than the common street cabs, but also more comfortable (nicer

>cars) and hassle-free.

>Once you've checked in (presumably at the Atlântico) walk over

>to the Citibank ATM next to the the Blockbuster on Av.

>Copacabana at the corner of Figueiredo Magalhães (about three

>blocks) or the HSBC branch on the same block, and get cash.

>

>If you end up with all large bills (R$50 and higher) try to

>get some smaller denominations at the hotel front desk,

>because making change is frequently a bit of a hassle in

>Brazil with large bills.

Hello, Tri- I really appreciate your spending time furnishing me (and others who read your postings) with valuable suggestions and information for new arrivees/visitors to Rio. Your suggestions on currency conversion is particularly helpful. Had it not been for your help, the help of Tomcal, and others who posted on this site, I would have been too apprehensive to go to Rio, particularly since I do not speak its local language. Considering what I read in connection with the crime rate in Rio, I probably would have found some lame excuse for omitting Rio and would have continued to go to my other usual destinations. Thanks again- P.S., I wonder whether other readers of this site realize what a valuable service there is for us on this media.

>I usually route through Dulles, but since I haven't gotten

>the ticket yet, I could end up somewhere else. My preference

>is Dulles. sure let's try to hook up before. Are you In or

>around LA?

>

>

I am in Los Angeles. Initially I was routed to Rio through Dulles (IAD). However, today United called me and changed my routing through Chicago (ORD). This is fine with me. The Chicago routing allows for a better connection and a few less flying hours. Since you have not yet purchased your ticket, you might consider the Chicago alternative.

• 3 weeks later...

RE: Paris of the Prairies to Rio via AA

Well, now that I've relocated my American residence to the Paris of the Prairies (Kansas City) getting to Rio becomes a bit more complicated. However, I'll be on AA 905 from MIA to GIG on 10/23. Anyone else going to be on that flight? Some company would be nice! Unless, of course, some hot gorgeous Brazilian guy is in the next seat! (But with my luck, they always end up getting seated far from my spot!)

Archived