travel connections from America to Rio and Buenos Aires

mjd
This topic is 7599 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

RE: travel connections from America to Rio and Buenos A...

>Does anyone know if there is an airline that connects through

>Rio on the way to or from Buenos Aires? I'd like to use a

>frequent flyer ticket to BA and have Rio as the free stopover.

You can do it on Varig, for one. Also TAM. Maybe also Aerolineas Argentinas.

Probably also American and/or United and/or Delta *if* they have a partner airline that goes between Rio and BA (for example Varig or TAM or Aerolineas Argentinas). Pretty sure you can on American.

Call them or go to their website or go to the online travel agent sites and put in your info.

If your miles are on American or United you should be able to do it using their partner airlines (TAM or Varig). I know people who've done this, so it's definitely possible, at least on American. However, you'll have to talk to a live agent to get the itinerary set up. Explain that you need an award that combines partner airlines. Of course, in some cases it may be possible to work it all out using one airline if there are code-shared flights on the partner (in this case, on the Rio/Buenos Aires stretch).

At least on American, the award also entitles you to a free stopover in each direction in your intercontinental gateway city, so you could probably wangle a stopover in Miami/New York and/or in São Paulo on the same award ticket! Creativity counts in this arena! So be sure to ask!

Guest BottomBoyRandy8

I'm flying from LAX to BA next week and then from BA to Rio and then back to LAX. I didn't have much luck cashing in miles from either United or American because of the BA to Rio leg. I just bought a ticket on Varig all the way which was much less expensive than I expected and certainly much less of a hassle. It would have been easier with United if I had different cities, say BA and Montevideo rather than Rio, United flies the BA to Montevideo route and no need to look for seats on a partner airline. The airlines didn't seem to eager to look for seats on my dates either. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did especially if you start now and not wait until 2 weeks prior to your flights like me. Good luck.

United ought to be quite relaxed about offering you seats on Varig between Rio and BA because the two airlines are founder members of the worldwide Star Alliance. I'm confident that Varig would be interested to hear that United was being difficult about this, because the whole point of the Star Alliance was to make it so much easier to set up journeys of the kind you want to make.

Once upon a time a lot of airlines from Europe used to fly between Rio and BA, because they combined both cities on their South American services. But these days BA and Rio are served by separate flights on every major airline, so your choice has come down to the national carriers of Argentina and Brazil. United has teamed up with Varig in the Star Alliance. I wasn't aware that American and TAM were together, and I don't know if Aerolineas Argentinas has a US partner.

Yes, AA and TAM are partners (although TAM is not a member of American's One World alliance). This could all change in the near future, though, because Varig is in serious financial trouble and is in the process of merging with TAM, which is in much better shape. Because it's so much better known abroad, the Varig name is expected to survive, at least for international service. What will happen to the airline alliances of each carrier isn't something I've seen mentioned in any of the news articles about the merger, at least not so far. But it rather looks like either United or American is going to find itself without a Brazilian partner.

Aerolineas Argentinas was a partner with American until Aerolineas went belly-up a couple of years ago. It was bought by one of the big Spanish tour companies (Marsans, I believe) which has whipped it into shape and is bringing it back to profitability. At this point, though, I don't think Aerolineas is linked to any of the large U.S. airlines. Aerolineas is copying the economy airline model, at least on short haul routes, and usually offers the cheapest fares between Rio and B.A. It should be possible to get a round trip excursion ticket for US$198 - $300, depending on dates, times, advance purchase requirements, etc.

Another Argentine airline, Southern Winds, is partnering with American, but it doesn't have service between Brazil and Argentina, as far as I know. I believe they mainly fly domestically within Argentina, with international service only to Miami and Madrid.

Archived