Just back from Brazil and what a trip!

sf traveler
This topic is 7692 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well those who beat me back, Tomcal, Gulliver, Floridarob, CT Dick and Sucker, not to mention Gringo and Tri who are still there gave most of the real information so I'm just go to though in a few barbs here and there and feel you in on the last few days after most people left, and my time in Sao Paulo. First, as soon as Tomcal left, every boy that saw me rushed up and asked "Seu amigo, o alto, foi embora?" (Your friend, the tall one, went away?") Once I confirmed the treadful news, they just signed, turned and walked away.

BUT HEY, I'M STILL HERE. Well, I guess they knew that, but, as Sucker would say, they knew Tomcal, and I'm no Tomcal! The smarter ones immediately followed up with questions about when we're returning and even my hard old queen heart was touched by the really big smiles I got when I told them we'ed be back in October. Of course some of the boys are unpleasantly mercenary, but I think all the posters would agree that what was really astonishing was how many of the boys seemed genuinely fond of us and responded so sincerely to what I do believe was the sincere affection many of us felt for them. By the end, Kevin was asking me to be the godfather to his new baby. Well I guess you just would have to know Kevin to see how funny this really is --let's just say he's a tall, well-built shit disturber you have to watch every minute and yet I adored him. He'd call from the lobby, uninvited, at 1am, come up, eat everything in the minibar, watch 2 yours of TV, give me one of the best blow jobs I've ever had, and then leave--he can't sleep at night so he wanted to be on his way. Kevin is deeply manipulative but charming through and through. There were times I had to tell him he couldn't come with groups to a restaurant when he just wanted to tag along. And yet he would never let me walk back to the Hotel alone late a night.

To me this is very Brazilian--he wants to get whatever he can out of you, and yet he treats you as his responsibility in some ways too. Since security is so much of an issue now, I should say that the boys as a group were very concerned about our physical safety. Everyone in Rio, muscular young men included, has a story about being robbed or worse and while none of us had any problems, it is a place in which people automatically look out for one another. While the cynics among you might say that well of course they didn't want anybody killing the goose laying the golden egg. I believe the truth is a more profoundly Brazilian one. In a society were the law and other impersonal institutions cannot be relyed on for protection, people have to look out for one another. Having treated them generously, and been kind to them in other, non-financial ways, we had entered into a shared social/cultural space with them where our safety, or our general well-being, was partly their responsiblity. No decent Brazilian would do anything other than his best to meet this responsibility. Since they couldn't help us in financial ways, they did so in the ways they could--helping us avoid danger, going places with us, speaking Portuguese for us--or in my case lying and telling me how great my Portuguese was. Many times I remember Tri's admonition that you have to constantly keep your guard up there, since Brazil has a way of seducing people. When I read that, I thought, "Well maybe the unsophisticated traveler, but not me dearie." Well I'm here to tell you, this is one deeply seduced old queen!

There's so much else I want to say, but then I'd ramble on all day. Let me just close with a few observations about Sao Paulo and Lagoa. I was there for 4 days and this time I thought the quality of the boys was down a bit. There weren't quite so many real beauties as I remember, although quite by accident, I did find my favorite of all time, so that made up for it all. It's still cleaner and better organized, and does have more boys, than any of the Rio saunas. Also the Rio boys are definitely more pushy and importuning than the Lagoa boys. The standard fee is still R$50 in both places, but always ask up front as at least one boy was pretting firm in asking for R$100--although the service I got was totally worth it. The other thing that surprised me was that the overall bill paid to the sauna was about 30% bigger than I'd been paying in Rio. The entry is R$29 and the suites are R$35 and that difference really adds up. In Rio I felt my bills to the sauna were between R$50-100 while in Sao Paulo R$85-150. The quality of the product was proportionally higher however, but I just though I would mention this. Also, they have opened a Quality Hotel about 8 to 10 blocks down Rue Borges Lagoa from the sauna. I would not particulary recommend that anyone stay there however. While it's not a particularly dangerous area, these are long blocks and the street is pretty deserted late at night. Just stay at a decent hotel in whatevery more interesting area you like and just use the metro or take a cab.

I'll probably post more later as various impressions float to the surface. SF Traveler

Thanks for the news about the Quality Hotel. It might not be a neighborhood for a long stay, but for travelers just stopping overnight in SP, or just for a day or two to experience Lagoa, it may be very convenient and reasonable! For longer stays, or to experience more of SP, I agree with SFTraveller than you'd do better to stay elsewhere, either downtown (the Hilton or on Av. Vieira de Carvalho) or in the Av. Paulista areas, both of which have more life and easy metro access.

I'm also waiting for Gringo to weigh in with a report on his visit to SP last weekend, and his in-depth observations on the Alterosas sauna, which he apparently enjoyed!

Welcome home. Isn't it a down? Life here just isn't the same. It's the same feeling I get crossing the bridge as I leave the Cape; back to str8sville.

What you said about their concern for our safety brought back lots of little memories. You are right - over and over they offered to hale a taxi or walk me to the hotel.

Then, there was the day I went to Rogers. I walked up to the big wooden doors (strictly ornamental, I found out) and found them locked. A middle aged, properous looking woman pointed me toward the real entrance. I CAN'T IMAGINE my mother showing a tourist the right door for a gay bath house. Ah, Rio.

Dick

Querido SF_traveller,

Really glad to hear that you had a quite good time in both Rio and São Paulo. Wiron has kept us updated on the day you and Gaetano spent with him in Sampa. As for the boys being mercenaries, some of them surely (like some doctors, merchants and lawyers can be...), but I agree with you when like anyone else are treated with respect and tenderness they do offer their most genuine kind of affection be it by walking you back to the hotel or getting a cab for you.. This is definitely Brasilian... As it's very Brasilian to offer their children for somebody well off to become the kid's godparent... for when you are a godparent here in Brasil you're supposed to look after the kid's education and well being... thus people tend to look for wealthy grandparents..

As for your Portuguese... you do speak it very well and you have a good understanding of the mechanics of the language... (Remember your subjunctive tenses!!!!) and we are not lying about it... Congratulations to your teacher back there... and of course to the good work that Valéria and I were able to make with such a good student... And the most impressive thing about a person like you is your genuine interest in our country's history and culture which is way above average, and that I think contributes to make your experiences here even more rewarding than they'd otherwise be.

Looking forward to seeing you again whenever you come and say hi to Gaetano and hope that he recovers quickly from the terrible disease taht kept him away from work... Dengue is really a problem nowadays...

Um beijo grande,

:*

It wasn't an ear infection? ;) Just in case anyone thinks Carlo is serious, Gaetano needed a doctor's excuse to cover some extra days he took off from work. Usually an "ear infection" will justify not being able to fly. Dengue would be laying it on a bit thick! But feel free to pick your favorite disease, if you need to use this gambit. I'm sure Carlo can help you find a helpful doctor who'll write you a note!

Thank you for your wonderful post! I had the same experience with the guys offering to walk me to Jabbas and in one case drove me there during a rainstorm. I went sightseeing over a three day period with several of the guys and they honestly did not expect to be paid for the outing--even though I viewed it as a service. (I was far safer in their company than on my own). I found that while some of the guys were untrustworthy most are trustworthy. I respected the guys I was with and found this was generally reciprocated. I look forward to returning in May and will do my best to fill in the gap left by Tomcal and yourself albeit in a VERY small way :-)

Archived