Swimsuits

Knabegeil
This topic is 7729 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

All info that gives a realitstic pic of gay life in BZ from this site is appreciated and valued. Nevertheless, I was a bit dismayed by Williewanker2's recent report ("I Love Rio") that Brazilian swimsuits are to be avoided. I thought the Cariocas were famous for thier skimpy suits and near nudity at the beach. Other points of view?

Guest Tomcal_

I don't think he was referring to the Lack of skimpy swimsuits! He was referring to buying them for yourself and they are not made well. I won't know about that, I have never bought any there, always brought my own. You will see LOTS of boys in Speedos!! Guaranteed!

the gay beach in Ipenema is packed with them on weekends! Take a pair of mirrored sunglasses, then you can stare at them while they are standing right next to you without being obvious, or be like one of my friends who want's them to know he's staring and doesn't wear any sunglasses!! LOL

Don't know about that

From what I saw on the beaches at Ipanema and Copacabana . . . the swimming trunks guys were wearing weren't much different than I see in many other places I travel to . . . or what I see on the beaches in the U.S. What's "skimpy" to one person is likely not to be so to another. I don't think I saw anything that approached "near nudity," at least not with the men. Some lesbians were topless, but I saw nothing less than speedo-size on guys . . . and no thongs.

The quality of the swimsuits looked fine to me, and I didn't observe anyone having difficulty. Could be that some oversized foreigners are trying to fit into a suit a few sizes too small.

By the way, one of the exaggerations I read about beaches in Rio had to do with "beach wear." Bring what you're comfortable in, because you'll see all sizes and shapes of people, and swimwear. Nobody's likely to mistake you for a local. It's a vacation . . . leave the rules at home, so have some fun!

Guest localz02

RE: Don't know about that

I was with Williewanker2 in Rio for a week and a half and we spent a few days on the beach. I would describe the swimsuits the men wear as skimpy. I noticed two types of suits that the locals wear. One was the traditional speedo type suits that Olympic swimmers wear. These are similar to briefs, or what one would call a "bikini" cut. These types of suits seemed to have been favored by the fatter, older men. The second type of suit is similar to jockey shorts, but shorter. I don't know how to describe them except to say they're not cut like briefs. However, they are still very short. I was very impressed by the overall comfort people felt about their bodies. Fat, thin or muscular they all wear short shorts.

A Joke about Swimsuits

Please don't take seriously my comments (copied below)in my initial posting in "I Love Rio" about swimsuits in Rio. It was ment to be a joke describing how the sexy guys on the beach constantly play with themselves. It seems to be a national hobby. I have not worn a Brazilian swimsuit and have no idea about their quality. The last thing I want to do is to start some controversy on this subject.

"I don’t recommend buying a swimsuit here. They seem to be badly made and uncomfortable. The boys on the beach in their skimpy speedos would constantly have to stand up, adjust themselves, push things from side to side and up and down, and rub themselves. It seemed to be particularly bad when they would get an erection lying in the sun. Also the swimsuits don’t have any pockets. One guy seemed to be carrying a couple of extra pairs of socks in the front of his speedos. I am sure that such a huge bulge could not be natural."

:-)

Guest Deweywop

RE: A Joke about Swimsuits

How dare you joke about such a "sensitive" subject?! I was genuinely concerned about the Brazilian beach boys, wanting to help them in any way to alleviate their discomfort and tightness, maybe take out those spandex-stretching bulges they have to carry. I would carry them in *my* pocket.

Seriously, I can echo the earlier observation about swim fashion. What I liked the most were those hard-to-describe square-cut briefs that you rarely find in the States. They look kind of like the bottom of a wrestler's singlet (I know, I know, why haven't I booked my return fare already?), but still spandex and form-fitting. Very sporty, retro, and Euro, and a little more modest than Speedos. I bought a pair for about $10 and it was as well-made as anything I've got at Copeland's. Hard to find though. I don't know where the shopping was, but I didn't find a pair I liked until the end of my trip and only used it back home.

RE: A Joke about Swimsuits

Hard as it is to believe in a matter like speedos, but there actually are fashion trends in them, at least in Brazil!

When I first began coming to Brazil in the 80s, men's speedos were extremely brief and high cut. They weren't thongs, but they were getting close, and they were definitely briefer than speedos sold in the U.S. A lot like bikini briefs. Everyone wore them, regardless of their age, shape or size. This was also the period when women almost universally wore the "fio dental," or "dental floss," bikinis which were just a three (small) triangles of cloth held together by an almost invisible cord. . .

Later, tiresome baggy and shapeless American surfer jams became popular among many of the younger guys. Now most wear a speedo (or sunga, as they're known in Brazil) under their "bermudas", which they remove for sun-bathing but put on again when they hit the street.

The current speedo fashion is known as a "sungao," or big sunga (sorry, no accents on this keyboard). As described, they're not as brief and definitely not high cut like the older speedos, but they're still form-fitting Spandex, allowing guys to show off their all-important bulges (and even straight Brazilians are into showing off their assets)!

I have no interest in getting into the cut/uncut wars, but I've always been told Brazilians are constantly hauling at themselves because they're uncut and when things slide back and start rubbing against tight speedos or bikini underwear, relief is called for. It's one of the commonest Brazilian gestures, observable absolutely everywhere. It's done very unselfconsciously, in mixed company, whenever the need arises! But then, Brazilians just aren't shy in this area. A comic strip today, in a leading family newspaper, titled something like "Middle-aged Lothario," showed the featured character sitting bolt upright on a beach. When asked by his girlfriend if something was wrong, his answer was: A crab just pinched my dick! (Sorry, the quotation marks just vanished from this keyboard. . .) Dare you to see that in an American family newspaper!!!

• 2 weeks later...

No joke about swimsuits..

There's only one place in Rio where the guys don't wear any swimsuit, it's Reserva beach in Barra da Tijuca. There we see all types of people: gay, nudists, potheads etc... and in the back woods there's a lot of action going on.. but only locals are aware of this most foreigner stick to Farme de Amoedo on Ipanema beach, where you shall see lovely boys in their "MARVELOUS" swim trunks... I am sorry but Brazilian swimsuits are of a much better fabric and desing than the ones made in the US...

One can check that on Chris Geary's site... on the Rio part...

http://www.chrisgeary.com/

After visiting his site... I nobody will dispute...

Um abraço:7

Archived