Upgrade to Windows XP?

deej
This topic is 8233 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

HooBoy asked me about this on the phone today so I thought it might be a good topic of discussion.

If you are a Windows user, and you have the horsepower (RAM and processor) to run XP, install it. I have it from several gurus in the Operating System arena that it's the most important upgragde to Windows since Win95.

If your hardware is questionable, think twice. Microsoft's site is replete with "minimum" requirements, which should be doubled for average performance.

Server operators should think twice, but they'll already know this (or should).

Windows XP is, by all indications, faster and more reliable than any previous version of Windows. My personal recommendation will mean nothing to most of you, but I've been running XP throughout the beta and it's been rock solid. And as a programmer, I tend to stress it just a bit. (Java applet inside a HTML page on a VB form anyone?)

This one looks like a safe upgrade IF (and this is a big if) your hardware is recent.

Don't try installing WinXP on 1999 hardware unless you know stuff about peripheral support. Trust me. I have it running on a Pentium II notebook with 128MB of RAM. It was not without struggle.

But for anyone with a machine bought in the last year or so, it should be a no-brainer upgrade.

Guest bottomboykk

I'm not a computer guru like Deej, just your above-average techo-geek, but I'll say I agree entirely with Deej. XP is a wonderful upgrade, and my computer is vastly more stable than it was under 98, as well a significantly faster. I can't recommend XP high enough to anyone (if, like he said, you have the horsepower.)

Guest Vegasboy Dave

I agree as well, XP you can have different users doing different task at several times, like if you are working on something under your username and someone wants to work on a document or start to download something and they want to switch over to there username then they can and you can come back where you left off.. Really Neat.. So far I havent had one crash with this OS yet.. Knock on wood.. I would recommend it to anyone.. If you have a old system, I would pay attention to the upgrades that you will have to go thru at first before installing it, some games support it and some dont, so be careful there as well..

Well hope this is some useful info for you guys.

Guest WorldEscrt Sean

I just bought a new top of the line Dell 8200 with a 2 gig pentium 4 with a half a gig of ram and a 100 gig hard drive loaded with XP and this is in a word AWESOME!

Archived