Recommendations for Rio Beaches

mjd
This topic is 7844 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I used to go to the Copacabana beach and enjoyed it, but on my last two visits I couldn't find any gay section. Even Ave Atlantica at Maxims was largely deserted of young guys compared to year's past. Does anyone go there anymore?

I've only been to the gay beach at Ipanema a few times--its inconvenient for someone staying in mid-Copa--but is it fun? When I was there it seemed more affluent and snobbish and not many younger guys looking to play.

I thought the secluded wooded section of Arpoador, just below the military base, used to be very hot, but wondered if there are now police discouraging playing around. Three and four years ago you could go there at night (with usual safety considerations-no watch, and beach attire) and it was unbelieveable. I was first taken by a gay hotel concierge I met in a theater in Cinelandia and couldn't believe it. Must have been 100 guys. Safety in numbers and they were there for fun, didn't seem to be hustling, just wanted to get off.

I returned one day at 1pm this past January and was surprised to see uniformed police swarming through the area. At first I thought "better get out of here!" but then one of the policemen spoke with me and said they were looking for a street robber who ran away in that direction; they just wanted to apprehend him and they didn't mean to frighten the people who "usually enjoyed coming to that area". Hmm, maybe I missed a good opportunity, but better safe than sorry!

Well those who you who get some beach time between your sauna visits, please give me your recommendations. Thanks!

In the past few years the gay beach at Copacabana seems to wax and wane with the seasons. If you're there on a weekday in low season it can be quite empty. It's definitely busier on weekends. During high season (Dec. 15 through February, Carnival, Holy Week, and the school holiday month of July) it will be much busier, even on weekdays.

If you're in Brazil during the southern winter and the temperature has plunged into the frigid 70's, you won't find many cariocas on the beach. They're too busy at home getting the minks out of the vaults and shivering around space heaters (wearing hats, gloves and scarves) trying to stay warm! As far as cariocas are concerned, only mad dogs and foreigners would go to the beach in such cold weather! ;-)

Guest painai2

I just returned from Rio. I have been there now in May, Sept. and Dec. of this year. Only now, this past week did I see action on the beach. In front of the Copacabana Palace Hotel is the the gay kiosk. All the saunas, Rogers, Club 117, Estacio and Le Boy even had umbrellas. There were lots and lots of gays, tricks, lots of action (it was in the 90's-and a week end and everyone on the beach.) In previoius visits--nothing and no one there. So it is as stated by the previous poster--only a high season--weather thing--going to the beach.

secluded wooded section of Arpoador, just below the military base, used to be very hot***

i wandered through the paths and trails in Arpoador last month (november). its still active and fun. best time seems 2 b late afternoon 2 sunset. i personally feel uncomfortable after sunset, so i cant tell u anything about that. but let me understand--r u looking 4 beaches or outdoor cruisin?

Arpoador....Please give directions for those of us that will be there for the first time. (From Copo. as well as Ipn.)

I read in an earlier thread about a MIL. FORT. I would like to get some more information of its Location and if any one has had the pleasure of getting together with any of those men. Thx

Archived