NJ/NY/CT Brazil Visa Question

Guest Aaron Lawrence
This topic is 7849 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Aaron Lawrence

Hey Guys -

I have a question that I need help on, and think it would be good info to have in the archives of this forum.

I'm headed to Brazil in January and am about to apply for a visa. Unfortunately, the Brazil website for NYC (which covers my home area of New Jersey) says it does not take visa applications by mail. And the other consulates specify that they are only for residents of the nearby states. In the case of the DC consulate it even goes so far as to say that it doesn't accept visa applications by mail for people in states other than its surrounding area.

So my question is: For all folks in NY, CT, and NJ, how have you successfully applied for a Braziliian visa by mail?

Thanks!

--Aaron

The visa services aren't real cheap, although a great help if you don't live in a city with a consulate. If you're close enough to NY you can just go in to the consulate yourself. You should be able to download the visa form from the Brazilian consulate or embassy website. Fill it out, have your passport picture, a money order for the visa fee made out to the Consulate General of Brazil, and a copy of your airline ticket itinerary from the airline or travel agency. Call the Consulate for its business hours, but you can go in when it opens for visas applicants and possibly persuade them to get the stamped passport back to you after lunch. If not, you'll have to leave the passport and pick it up the next business day (here in San Francisco they're taking 24 hours to grant visas). It's a bit of a hassle, but cheaper than a visa service on top of the actual visa fee (which I just read is going up to $100 because that's what the U.S. is charging Brazilians and other foreigners for visas!).

I drove to San Francisco and got my visa within a few minutes.

Since I had planned to leave on a Tuesday for Brasil--I procrastinated and waited until the preceding Thursday to procure my visa; I kindly related to the clerk that I didn't live in SF and would most appreciate receiving the visa before 3 pm their closing time. She complied, and I was the elated one, especially finding out that the visa is good for five long years!! Just an FYI!

Aaron, Tri and CT related the procedures to you. Bless them!

Also, each ENTRY into Brazil is good for 90 days. After that you either have to leave Brazil and re-enter, or you can get an extension in-country by going to the Polícia Federal office (this involves some running around to pay fees, etc.). Visitors on tourist visas are allowed to stay in Brazil no more than six months within any calendar year. It doesn't appear that Brazil has any way of tracking the time you actually spend in the country in any organized fashion, especially if you leave at the end of 90 days and then return. The immigration inspectors at the airport aren't going to spend forever trying to decipher all the smudgy entry/exit stamps when there's a long line of people behind you waiting to go through the formalities. But the six-month rule is the law, just so you know.

Archived