Carnival (Carnaval) 2003

Axiom2001
This topic is 7844 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Who from this board/forum plans to venture to next year's Carnaval in Rio? A good friend of mine and I plan to be there from 28 February until 10 March 2003. If anyone who frequents this board and plans to e there, we'd like to meet you to compare notes, etc. Although it will be crowded and partying galore, perhaps there will be a chance for our getting together for drinks, talk, and sharing of notes.

He and I plan to stay at Hotel Atlantico Copacabana. ...got a good deal money-wise for air and ground.

Hi, Axiom,

I am planning to be in Rio again from February 23rd to March 6th. I would really like to get together to compare notes, boys, etc., whenever we can. I had such a great time when I was there in October that I booked a return trip before I left the city. I will be staying at the Olinda Othon on Av. Atlantica and Rua Hilario Gouveia, about 3 blocks south of the Copa Palace. I never heard of the restaurant known here as "Jabba's Place" (located somewhere near Incongrua, the dance club) but I am dying to check it out. I have been corresponding with Juan Carlos from Roger's, Luis from Spa 73 and Claudio and Andre from Club 117. They have invited me to join their samba schools for Carnaval and participate in the parade. This site has really opened up a new world to me. I am counting the days til I return (96 more). Let me know if you want to touch bases while in Rio. Take care. Robb

If you ever wanted to star in a Busby Berkeley spectacular, being in a Carnival parade is your dream come true. When you're dressed in your silly (but possibly extravagant) costume milling around the assembly area you may wonder what were you possibly thinking of when you got yourself into this. But when your group is organized and you turn the corner into the parade route, and the lights come on and the crowd starts roaring and the drums boom and the singing washes over you in a wave, it's just glorious.

I did this back in '87 (in a parade I later discovered Kristian Bjorn filmed for his classic "Carnival in Rio). I'm not in great shape, nor am I a skillful dancer, but the adrenaline rush and sheer joy of being there transformed me. By some miracle, I managed to samba down the avenue for the entire 90 minutes, non-stop. God only knows what I was doing, but it apparently caught the attention of the TV cameras, because the next day a number of different friends said they'd seen me on national television, and a year later told me they were using clips of me in the pre-Carnival publicity for the '88 festivities! My fifteen seconds of Brazilian fame!!! It was all sheer magic, and an experience I will remember to my dying day!

Parading with Brazilian friends will make the experience extra special. If you ever have the experience, do it, because it will truly be unforgettable. Be sure to take a very small camera (or a disposable) so you can get pictures of yourself to show everyone back home what you did on your trip to Rio, and to keep in your memory book for when you're very old and gray and can look at the photos and go "ahhhh!"

Well, the fare is reasonable, but the hotel price during the time leaves just a mere bit to be desired, but we're still going; I sent money today to purchase airline tickets.

Men, aside from the parades and the saunas and the usual tourist activities: all of those facets mentioned in previous posts-- what are the MUST DO'S and SEE'S during Carnaval (Carnival)? I emailed Ernani for suggestions, but he has yet to respond.

Jack, my friend and I will stay at Hotel Atlantico from 28 February until 11 March. If we had chosen the first price given to us by a travel agent in Miami who specializes in Brazilan travel-- we'd been out of US 1,769.00 just for hotel PER PERSON. She/We changed to do the following: during Carnival we will share a room for four days; the price came to 449 per person. After Carnival we will have single rooms for six days; the cost is 450 per person. Our prepaid hotel bill will cost 899 per person.

If I'd done this during low season--the cost for eleven days probably would have been around 600 plus. Even when attempting to book hotels using Brazilian t a's, the price was not to my liking. You can get quotes over the net. Try http://www.ipanematravel.com.br. During high season, and New Year's/Carnival especially, the rates are increased which is indicative of high seasons throughout our world.

When do you think you will be traveling to Brasil? September, October, and November (spring) fine time. I was also told March, April, May would be conducive for first timers as well as veterans.

Low season rates will be in effect after Carnival (which falls late this year, in the first week of March). High season rates in Brazil are usually in effect December through February. You may also find higher rates in July, which is their winter school holiday month (but still beach weather in much of Brazil). Holy Week (another school holiday) is also a peak travel period and rates go up for that period.

Rates are always high (not to mention ridiculous) at New Year's and Carnival in Rio. These both fall during the regular high season, and are the peak of the peak for travel, so to speak. Hotels try to jack up their rates and require minimum stays. Working through a local travel agent can help bring costs down, but waiting until a bit closer to the event can also result in some savings. Often greed/desperation overcomes the hotel owners, who think they can make up for a bad year with a few days' business at New Year's or Carnival. Fortunately, the local traveling public decides they just can't afford those ridiculous prices and don't make reservations. Faced with surplus vacancies during their most sure-fire earnings opportunity, reality checks in and hoteliers start lowering their rates to something more affordable so they won't be empty during those dates. It's not gonna be dirt cheap, but it'll certainly be cheaper than what they were originally asking.

Another way to get a better rate is to ask if there's a cash discount. You may find some surprising savings (even in high season) if you pay cash. This will require tucking away some US$100 bills and changing them at a "cambio" on your last/next-to-last day. (Don't let the hotel exchange your dollars. You won't get a good rate and you'll lose some of the savings you'd otherwise obtain by paying cash, unless the hotel will accept your dollars at the "paralelo" rate in the newspaper.)

I read this afternoon an article on "low" rates for Brazil this year at Carnaval time. It can be found at msn.com. Click on the MSNBC News line and then click on the travel button, then the budget travel button, and then look for "A Rio Good Time."

< < what are the MUST DO'S and SEE'S during Carnaval (Carnival)? I emailed

Ernani for suggestions, but he has yet to respond. > >

Hey, Axiom ! Sorry if I still didn't answer you. I'm having problems down here. I had my motorcycle robbed and I bought a new one, but, my old bike was recovered by the police and now I have 2 ones, and I'm short of time to deal with repairs in the old one and documents for the new one.

I also owe an answer to Trilingual and will do that next week. I'm really stressed with this current situation, but, I'm glad that now I have 2 bikes and I maybe I can double my incomes. Can you imagine if I also had 2 dicks ?

LOL !

Archived