Rio%27s Nightlife Revisited%21

Axiom2001
This topic is 7899 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In my reading about Rio from FROMMER'S PORTABLE Rio de Janerio, I found this info. and wanted to share it here.

"Rio's gay community is fairly small, certainly smaller than one would expect from a city of 10 million people...."

"A good resource to pick up is the latest edition of the GAY GUIDE BRAZIL, a small booklet available at some of the clubs and bookstores in Ipanema, or check http://riogayguide.com or http://www.gay-rio.com. The Brazilian term for gay-friendly is GLS, which stands for gay, lesbian, and sympathizers. Often you will see this abbreviation used in listings or restaurants or bar reviews."

CLUBS

Blue Angel "...around the corner from Le Boy-- mixed gay and lesbian bar with a small added gallery of avant-garde art. "Very upscale and classy..." Rua Julio de Castilhos 15, Copa, 021 2513-2501-- no cover-- Bus 415

Galeria Cafe "Both the cafe and the sidewalk get really hopping after 1 am. Rua Teixeira de Melo 31E, Ipanema

021 2523-8250 http://www.galeriacafe.com.br. Cover R$2-$10 ($1-$5). Bus 415

Le Boy "The largest gay club in Rio..." Rua Raul Pompela 102,

Copacabana 021 2513-4993 http://www.leboy.com.br. Cover ranges from R$5- R$15 ($2.50-$7.50)

The last club has been mentioned in other threads, namely the one regarding Rio at night... I glanced at the material and thought it might be beneficial, but I am mistaken. We already know about Le Boy from our respondents.

If this info is not helpful-- the guide book cited here is quite for a newbie or newbee!:-)

Frommer's probably isn't the guidebook I'd use to ferret out gay life! ;-) There's as much gay goings-on in Rio as any other city its size. It's true, though, that there aren't as many night spots as you would expect for such a large city, although there are a number of places in other parts of the city and metro area where a tourist wouldn't go. As you'll see when you get there, Rio sprawls enormously, so visitors tend to concentrate on just a few neighborhoods.

The three places listed are all going strong (or were the last time I was in Rio) and are all popular. Blue Angel is a small, upscale bar. Better from about 11:30 to 1:00 a.m. before everyone goes clubbing. There are some other bars on r. Teixeira de Melo, where Galeria is located (it's in Ipanema, near Pça. Gral. Osório). The street has become quite a gay strip. We all know about Le Boy.

A couple of places not mentioned are La Cueva, r. Miguel Lemos, 51 (betw. Av. Copacabana and Barata Ribeiro) downstairs in a basement. It's a small dance club that specializes in older men and their admirers. A disco less upscale than LeBoy, which has been known to attract a "rentable" crowd, is Incontrus on Pça. Serzedelo Correia (the square on Av. Copacabana between Hilario de Gouveia and Siqueira Campos). Incontrus is on the same side of the square (the one closest to the beach) as the "Coruja" restaurant, famous not only because of the misadventures of Tomcal and LAShowbiz.

Happy night-clubbing! :+

Galeria is a nice place, small, lots of eye contact, g.l guys 25-35yo, lots of girls too; the laugh of my life when guys were dancing Abba "dancing queen"

Another very nice club is Dama do fero, very g.l guys there

I didn't like le boy at all. Lots of LLT-TLJ types.

The bar just next to leboy is much better

RE: Rio Newsflash

On an e-mail update that arrived today, the guy who runs Netgay in Rio says that the bars with backrooms got raided by the cops and were ordered to clean up their acts. Shades of NY! Of course, elections are taking place Oct. 6th, so I'd be willing to bet politics has something to do with this. (Although I can't imagine what points anyone thinks they're going win by doing this! Voters in Rio are worried about real, violent crime, not this kind of stuff!)

Also in the report: the opening of a dance area and new air-conditioned suites at Estação. Check 'em out! The lack of air-conditioning when I was in Rio last January, in the height of summer, definitely took the starch out of the friend I was with. Trilingual was feeling a bit, um, dewy himself! Club 117's suites ARE air-conditioned, so it was only time before competition caught up with Estação, I suppose. A welcome improvement, in any event!

Archived