Holiday in San Paulo and Rio from 12th September

Mac 100
This topic is 7943 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am going to be in San Paulo from 12th September for four days and wonder if any guys reading this site will be around to meet for a coffee or drink.

I am in my early 50's live in England easy going and would like to meet guys to compare notes on the Bath Houses etc.

Any Ideas of places to see while in the city would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mac

RE: Holiday in San Paulo and Rio from 12th Sept

Make sure you go to Lagoa Sauna on Friday. Friday is the best for the whole week. I heard there's a fuck show on Friday two weeks ago at Lagoa. In my opinion, Lagoa is better than any sauna in Rio in terms of boys and place.

Sao Paulo is a quite boring for sightseeing but it has more active gay life than Rio.

I have a friend from Sao Paulo who told me just this past Saturday night that he'd advise me to spend no more than three days in the area from which he hails. He stated that the city lacks great museums and other forms of cultural entertainment. I plan to read my single travel book about this city, use his advice, and utilize the guidance from travelers who have written in this forum.

Unless you have friends or business in SP, or speak Portuguese well enough to take advantage of the thriving cultural scene, three or four days is plenty.

The sightseeing highlights would be the MASP (the art museum) and Parque Trianon, across the street. This will also give you a feel for Av. Paulista, one of the main business streets of the world. The Theatro Municipal, downtown, and the new symphony hall (Centro Cultural Julio Prestes) built into a former railroad station, are also worth seeing. Maybe the Lazar Segall museum, if you find German expressionist art (gone tropical) of interest. Also the history museum Museu da República at the Ipiranga Palace. Special exhibits at the Bienal site in Parque Ibirapuera might be interesting. Take a cab to Shopping Iguatemi, on Av. Brig. Faria Lima, to see the newer big business area. Then try to decide where Brazil fits on the first world - third world scale!

SP also has tremendous restaurants and very active gay nightlife (besides the saunas) for those who are interested. Rio's a better bet for a tourist, but SP has more than enough to keep you interested for 3 or 4 days!

Guest Brazil Nut

RE: Another reason to go to Sao Paulo

>SP also has tremendous restaurants and very active gay

>nightlife (besides the saunas) for those who are interested.

> Rio's a better bet for a tourist, but SP has more than

>enough to keep you interested for 3 or 4 days!

Another reason to go to Sao Paulo...

Bruno Gaucho is there for an extended period now, and is not in Rio.

You can spend a weekend there. Friday and Sunday are two most busiest days at Lagoa. I use Lonely Planet travel guide book. For sightseeing, Rio is much more interesting. For gay scene, Sao Paulo is better.

Since I am in the process of planning my overall itinerary for Brasil in October, I purchased Fodor's new individual guides for both Rio and Sao Paulo; get them; they will enhance what the men have advised here on the board. Three or more gay and/or gay -friendly travel agents were mentioned, too.

In addition to my using the valuable information received in many threads on this board, and since I am during my second independent venture outside of the US, I will probably ask for guidance from an agent that I plan to contact tomorrow in San Francisco. In the aforementioned guides, agents in other parts of this country were listed.

I am excited, for I am doing this trip using the advice gleaned here; I am doing my own plane ticket component, and I do plan to seek additional assistance from a travel agent, even if I have to pay some money for the service.

Enjoy yourself and do report to us back in the States. I plan to make the big leap in October.

PS, Tri and my friend gave me some other areas to visit, so I am game and will go for it.

Archived