AVIANCA Airways, Anyone???

Axiom2001
This topic is 7979 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I haven't used Avianca, but I know South American friends who have. South American airlines often have cheaper fares or special deals. Avianca is the Colombian airline, and, if I remember correctly, is one of the oldest airlines in the world. My guess is that their service is fine. Like all airlines in Latin America, labor costs are low, so they can afford to have more flight attendants on board to make your experience pleasant. Since Avianca is not a Brazilian airline, I assume that your flight will probably stop in Bogotá, although you probably won't have to get off or change planes.

If you prefer to fly American, I again encourage you to check with one of the ethnic Brazilian travel agencies. There's a discussion with names and phone numbers in another thread of this bulletin board. I was able to get a flight on American from San Francisco to Rio, with a return from São Paulo, for about $850, when the cheapest fare for that routing I could find on the Internet or over the phone from the airlines themselves was about $1200! In addition, I could earn miles for the flight and, in spite of what the travel agency said, I found that I could cash in miles to upgrade myself to business class! (I just called American and asked, once I had the ticket, and was told that it was upgradable.) The agency had fares in the $650 price range, but they would have been on other airlines on which I couldn't earn miles, and since I'm currently Platinum, that would have been a lot of miles to lose! So, for me, it was worth the extra $200 to get the miles and be able to upgrade.

BTW, even though my ticket was upgradable (and the reservations agent was able to re-book me into business class on the phone) this required that the ticket be reissued (no extra charge). If you do this, go VERY, VERY early to the airport on the day of your flight (or on another day, if you can) because each time I've done this it has taken the ticket agents at least an hour to figure out how to do the necessary recalculations. The last time I did this they literally had four people plus the rate desk working on it for a good hour until they finally had it right. So be sure to leave lots of time to be sure you don't miss your flight!!!

Guest DCeBOY

tri is right. avianca is the colombian airline.

it is a fine, well-established airline. you'll be in good hands & you're getting a good fare.

have fun.

Guest Verde

RE: AVIANCA Airways, Anyone??? (or is it Avi- nunca)

I suggest you hold off booking that ticket with Avianca. Some are calling it one of the worst airlines in South America along with Avensa... a wag in the Lonely Planet Thorntree South America branch has even re-christened the Colombian airline "Avi-nunca". Seems like there's a real safety/maintenance concern involved. This is true with national airlines of countries that are not doing very well. I wouldn't fly Cubana if that was the last transport around. An Argentine friend even advised me not to use Aerolineas Argentina because of poor maintenance and not so good service.

I just bought my ticket for my trip in September to Buenos Aires with a stopover in Rio on the way back. It's for $691 from NY all taxes included on Varig ...and I can earn mileage on my UnitedAirlines pass.

RE: AVIANCA Airways, Anyone??? (or is it Avi- nunca)

A local Brazilian friend just mentioned that she is flying home to Curitiba from San Francisco for a couple of weeks in early August. She scored a ticket on American for $670 through Tropical Travel in the East Bay (details in the other thread on ethnic travel agencies). So listen to the voices of experience and shop where they do! And then you may not have to fly on the "Avi-Nuncas" of the world. . . ;)

Archived