Rio Hotel on Copacabana

robbguy
This topic is 7978 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm booked for Rio in October and am looking for a hotel located on Avenido Atlantico in Copacabana with a balcony overlooking the beach. Does anyone know of one located near the gay beach and in the vacinity of the saunas? I have a reservation at the Oceano Copacabana Hotel on Rua Hilario do Gouveia around the corner from Avenido Atlantico but that hotel does not have a view of the beach except from the rooftop patio. I have seen quite a lot of hotel websites but can't find one with balconies. Obrigado.

Guest aarongreyLa

To be perfectly honest, the saunas there are mostly over two blocks toward the mountains. It really does not matter where you stay on avenida atlantica as long as you stay toward the middle because there are buses that can take you just about everywhere. Cab fair is very cheap. There is a website: http://www.ipanema.com. That has a web page that shows all the addresses of local saunas. The Rogers termas is small but nice with great guys, hustlers though. Cheap their prices are, so tip heavy. Their fee is about 20 American dollars and they (Brazilians) are by far the most attentive lovers in the world. If you want local-non-hustlers, you probably want to check out Termas Novo Leblon in Ipanema on the weekends. I lived in Brazil for a year and I wish I could go back there now. I hope this helps.

Aaron Grey

http://www.aarongreycalifornia.com

aaron@aarongreycalifornia.com

Thanks for the info. Since you lived in Rio for a year, could you suggest a hotel on the beach? I know the general area that the saunas are in and I really want to find a hotel with balcony. I've contacted a couple of sites in Brazil but haven't gotten any responses yet. Tri, are you out there? Any suggestions? Thanks. Robb

Guest aarongreyLa

You know I really did not stay I Copacabana. I stayed in Ipanema and Leblon. I think that they were more my cup of tea. Here is a link on the same page that shows the hotels along the beach. Make sure they have Avenida Atlatica in the address. Some however are located on the corner of one street and Avenida Atlatica so if you call try to ask if they have rooms with views of the ocean. Copacabana is a bit racy for a tourist with no friends or family in Rio. It is a tourist spot but I would really recommend Ipanema or Leblon. They can be more expensive but safety is an issue for tourist in Rio. We stick out like a sore thumb. Here is the link to the map with the hotels on the beach in copacabana. Look for places in the middle of the curve of the beach because on either end of the beach there are slums on the mountains were you probably don’t want t ohang out. It is not really dangerous. You should just stay cautious. http://www.ipanema.com/rio/hotels/e/hotcopa.htm#map

Oh a good rule of thumb is to stay in the curve of the beach or the middle. Here is the link to places in Ipanema and Leblon. http://www.ipanema.com/rio/hotels/e/hotipa.htm

Good luck.

Aaron Grey and that in the corner is my caboose. Choo!!Choo!!

http://www.aarongreycalifornia.com

aaron@aarongreycalifornia.com

There are any number of hotels on Av. Atlântica, but my memory is failing me as to whether any have balconies! One of my perennial recommendations for people who want to stay right on the beach is the Excelsior, which is right across from the Bolsa (the gay beach in Copacabana) but it doesn't have balconies. The new Marriott, which as I recall is at the corner of Hilário de Gouveia and convenient to Estação, may have balconies. You can probably find out thru their website. BTW, somebody mentioned at one point that there were some very good AARP discount rates at the Marriott, so if you're eligibile and a member, you might want to check those out. The Brazilian Othon chain has numerous hotels along the beach, too. Some of them are in older building that may have balconies. Regardless of whether or not they do, all of these, of course, will offer beach views. If you want to do the total splurge, it seems to me the Copacabana Palace may have some rooms with balconies. But you'll be paying a pretty penny for the privilege! :-) However, if you can afford that level of hotel, you might as well go for the glamour. It IS one of the great hotels of the world!

While I have never lived in Rio, I have visited there a number of times, always staying in Copacabana and, lately, feeling completely free to walk the streets alone at any hour. Ten or twelve years ago this was not true. While beautiful, it was a dirty and potentially dangerous place. Just like New York, it got a strong mayor (love him or not) and got cleaned up and "safened" up. Just as in New York, there certainly are places you don't go in Rio but anywhere in the main parts of Copacabana are very safe and I have never felt anything but secure, respected and helped as a tourist.

Guest Jaunty

Check out the Windsor Palace Hotel It is relatively new, definitely has balconies. It is on a quiet side street,R. Domingo Ferreira, a half block off Atlantico,and about 2 doors south of Siqueira Campos and the best part, the upper 5 floors have a view over the buildings in the foreground so you would have the best of both worlds; a view, balcony, plus screening from the noise of busy blvd.

I just returned from Rio and my apartment window overlooked this hotel and the intersection of Ferreira & Campos. Nice little neighborhood; a carrilon playing, a gay nightclub and restaurant/bar just around the corner, Boni's, a bakery/coffee shop for mid-morning coffee & snack (need to keep your energy up!) etc. And, a short, safe 4 block walk to Estacao!

:p

Wanted to give you a quick reply. I just stepped off plane a few hours ago and am feeling travel fatigued. I will finish my trip narrative as time permits under "Recent Revels in Rio" if anyone is interested.

>Check out the Windsor Palace Hotel It is relatively new,

>definitely has balconies. It is on a quiet side street,R.

>Domingo Ferreira, a half block off Atlantico,and about 2

>doors south of Siqueira Campos and the best part, the upper

>5 floors have a view over the buildings in the foreground so

>you would have the best of both worlds; a view, balcony,

>plus screening from the noise of busy blvd.

>

>I just returned from Rio and my apartment window overlooked

>this hotel and the intersection of Ferreira & Campos. Nice

>little neighborhood; a carrilon playing, a gay nightclub and

>restaurant/bar just around the corner, Boni's, a

>bakery/coffee shop for mid-morning coffee & snack (need to

>keep your energy up!) etc. And, a short, safe 4 block walk

>to Estacao!

>

> :p

>

>Wanted to give you a quick reply. I just stepped off plane

>a few hours ago and am feeling travel fatigued. I will

>finish my trip narrative as time permits under "Recent

>Revels in Rio" if anyone is interested.

>finish my trip narrative as time permits under "Recent >Revels in Rio" if anyone is interested.

Jaunty-- by all means, keepum' cuming... Your revels are indeed a great help as well as interest to me since I plan to be in Brazil, Rio, etc. in October of this year! AX

Thanks for all the info. After a weekend of intense research, I found a hotel that is centrally located and has a balcony overlooking the ocean, the Olinda Othon Hotel on Avenida Atlantica between Rua Siqueira Campos and Hilario de Gouveia. It faces the gay kiosk on Copacabana Beach and is down the street from the gay saunas. I booked a double room with balcony for the ridiculously low sum of $157.50R (or $58.00US!). The staff was very helpful on the phone and assured me everything would be to my liking. So I am all set for October. Went to the Brazilian Consulate in Boston today to apply for a visa and was informed that the cost has risen from $45 to $65 and you have to apply no more than 90 days from the date of your trip. My gratitude to all of you guys who have supplied information on Rio and all the rest. Obrigado. ;-)

Guest pshaw

I think the visa went up to only $55 rather than $65 - at least that's what it cost me a couple of weeks ago. Although you must use the visa within 90 days of issuance, after that it is good for 5 years for re-entries.

Whatever the U.S. charges Brazilians for visas (and our fees are getting to be exorbitant) Brazil charges Americans. That's known as reciprocity.

If you can get the visa 90 days early, that's a change. Until recently, you could only get it within 30 days of your trip. But after the initial use, it's good for multiple entries for five years, as the previous poster mentioned. It'll be worth any effort, believe me.

I'm trying to remember where the Othon Olinda is (I think I may have stayed there on my first trip to Brazil back in the Jurassic year of 1983) but I don't think it's across from the gay kiosk, unless the kiosk has moved. The gay kiosk is directly in front of the Copacabana Palace hotel, and there's also the afternoon after-the-beach cruising scene at the sidewalk cafe at Maxim's, on the corner of Av. Atlântica and Fernando Mendes, just across the street from the Excelsior. But the Olinda won't be a long walk from there, and it's good exercise! Enjoy!

Hi,

According to the Lonely Planet Guide, the gay kiosk is at the foot of Sigueira Campos. I guess they got it wrong. Anyway, I probably won't be spending all that much time there, as I plan to visit the saunas on a very regular basis. :9 And if you visit the N.Y. Brazil Consulate website, you will see that the cost of visas has risen to $65. Hope it stays there. Gee, that increase of $20 could have been used for another hook-up with a Brazilian beauty. The nerve! Have a good one. Ate ja.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest miguelmiche1

would strongly recommend the luxor copacabana hotel, right on atlantica. beach views no balconies, corner of figuereido de magalhaes. 2 blocks to estaçao, 3 to rogers. never a problem getting the rapazes in, no fee, id required at front desk.

Archived