Air fares to Rio

Guest Jake
This topic is 7992 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

I just checked for airfares for Aug.(definitly not high season) and from L.A. they where $840. I am using frequent flyer miles. In the past they have been as low as 650.

There is a agency out of Miami, that specializes in Brazil travel:

info@brazilspecial.net which is affiliated with:

http://www.BrazilSpecial.net the guy who sent me the info at the agency is Sean@yestravel.net I had two friends that used them and they said they were very good.

I don't think it's a summer thing as I paid $740 round trip from Tampa through Miami this month. I will mention that I rack up my points on Delta and US Air but forwent the points on Delta through Atlanta to save about 3 hours each way and ended up flying TAM out of Miami. Although I have liked TAM within Brazil, it was my first experience with them internationally and it was an outstanding one both in terms of the equipment and superior service. As I am going back the end of June, I, too, will be interested in hearing more about fares anyone may discover.

Guest pshaw

Yesterday I was all set to buy my airline ticket for Rio in July and found that the fares had jumped a couple of hundred dollars since I checked a couple of weeks ago. :( (I'm trying to use either American Airlines or its partner TAM for the usual frequent-flier mile earning reasons.) I would like to ask you Rio veterans if this is typical for this time of year - would you advise that I book now anyway or is there a reasonalbe expectation that there will be a price drop in the next few weeks? I expected this to be the slow season for travel to Brazil; did the price jump because most Americans vacation in the summer months?

In my having yet to travel to Brazil, I, too, have been surfing for prices. The lowest found thus far has been 740.00 on Delta. I checked hotwire.com and the travel unit on the impenema (sp) site. On the latter the price quote was $740.00.

I'm with you too; I'd rather fly American Airlines, for I am in their "club"! (Just thought I'd add this bit of info, but I'll leave your intial question to be answered by the VETERANS; as stated previously I haven't been to this glorious country or to Rio, but the planning is in the works for September of this year.)

Guest Verde

Outbound fares generally go up in the summer months. Check consolidators in your area for best deals. One company I used is called Costamar (http://www.costamar.com) with office in Fort Lauderdale. I checked their site and the cheapest quote for a r/t ticket NY/Rio in July is $632 taxes included on Delta.

Guest pshaw

First, I want to thank those who have posted responses here and sent me messages privately regarding my question.

Secondly, I want to assure trilingual that I did first check the message archive and the "Cheap Fares" thread before I posted my question. As I mentioned earlier, I would prefer American Airlines or one of its partners and am hoping that I haven't completely missed a lower fare window of opportunity. If I am unable to obtain a decent rate with my preferred carriers, I will be sure to check out the options offered in that thread.:-)

I used Paulo Travel (mentioned in the Page 2 posting) on my last trip. They were able to get me on American for somewhat more than the cheapest thing they had (can't remember off the top of my head which airline that was). From San Francisco I ended up paying about $850, which was about $400 cheaper than anything I could find on American's site itself, or on Travelocity/Orbitz. The fare I got from Paulo's allowed mileage accumulation, which consolidator fares usually don't permit.

Interestingly, I asked if could get an upgrade using this fare and was told "no" at Paulo's, but never taking such answers at face value I called American directly as soon as I had the ticket in hand and was told that I could, indeed, upgrade it. Which I did. (It's a loooong flight, and business class is ever so much comfier!) If you do this, first you have to order an upgrade certificate (50K miles); when you get the certificate take it and the ticket to an American office to get the ticket reissued. Do this as soon as you can and DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU SHOW UP AT THE TICKET COUNTER FOR YOUR FLIGHT (unless you arrive several hours early). The recalculations they have to do are complicated and it can take an hour or more for them to figure out how to do them correctly. If you wait until just before your flight to do this, you could miss it!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jaunty

I shopped extensively for flights from Los Angeles to Rio,for early June trip.

Best I found (but not by a great deal) was an internet special from the Varig website. http://www.Varig.com $690 including all taxes

also including a $25 charge for a weekend flht.

allows mileage accumulation but not upgrades (boo)

prices bump up about $60 mid June through July (school holidays?)

They make you jump through a few hoops, like waiting 48 hours to confirm reservation.

If New York or Miami is a good departure point for you, they have started an auction on seats out of those points. Maybe you could score a bargain, they promise a minimum of 3 seats per flight up for the highest bidder.

I've used them once before and their standards of service are much better that domestics.

HINT:on Varig.com home page, click on NORTH America, even though you are going to South America, (for english language pages)

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I was in Travelocity's "loney planet" searching information for a trip that will happen within a few days and decided to check the international component. Presently, the lowest fare to Rio from Los Angeles is $674; it's $708 from NYC; $834 from Atlanta, $809 from Chicago, and $840 from the big "D" Dallas. Should I purchase my ticket now from LA (I live in CA...) to Rio, or should I wait until next month or August to purchase my RT to Rio?

I submit this FYI, but would someone whose been to Rio advise me based on the preceding information. I have truly appreciated ALL info that I have received in previous thread regarding this wonderful city and its men/people. Currently, I plan to venture there in October--Ernani'strong suggestion-- although he and I did not hook up when he was in SF recently-- much to my chagrin. We plan to give it a go again when he returns (sometimes before my October sojourn).

Guest pshaw

I've got to agree with Trilingual - right now the rates to Rio on sites like Expedia and Travelocity are the best I have seen in the past six months - the DC to Rio rate is about $150 less than I paid just a few weeks ago. If you can get a bargain rate ticket for the time you want to travel, I would recommend snapping it up now.

Guest Tomcal_

Guys, I just bought a ticket for my August trip on Expedia.com, Los Angeles to Rio, for $655. American airlines, a Boeing 777 which is a really nice plane to go that long a flight on,(same as my tip last April) lots of room. There were lot's of upgrades available, so i ended up in Business class for that price(for those of you who are frequent flyers on AA)

Archived