Anybody know Sheraton Rio Hotel and Towers?

HardnThick
This topic is 8139 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This will be my first trip to Rio and I'm wondering what the hotel I'm booked into is like.

Good location or remote from tourist sites and the saunas? Quality/comfort of the place? Good beach?

If you know the hotel, I'd sure appreciate your help.

Sheraton Rio Hotel and Towers

Avenida Niemeyer 121

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 22450

Phone: (55) (21) 2274 1122

Thanks!:)

The Sheraton Rio is way off by itself. It boasts its own beach but you are far away from everything (it's way past Ipanema). You are going to have to cab it everywhere. Stick to a hotel on Ipanema or the Copacabana - too may to choose from and you will be much happier than at the Sheraton. If you want to pay the rate of the Sheraton, than book Ceasar's Park on Ipanema.

And let me echo that. The Sheraton is luxurious, expensive and ISOLATED! It's up on a hill past the end of Leblon and far from all the bars, baths, gay beaches and action.

If this is your price level, the Caesar Park, the Copacabana Palace or the Meridien (among others) would be for you. As frequently stated here, if you want to be able to walk to places like Roger's and Estacao saunas, the Metro station for easy access to Club 117 and downtown sightseeing, etc., stay in Copacabana. For a more upscale, chic neighborhood, stay in Ipanema. The Sheraton is the last place I'd recommend for someone sharing the common interests on this board! It's a place for people who are afraid of being outside North American comfort (and it's false security as there's a big favela on the hillside opposite the hotel!). ;)

Guest Tomcal_

I agree with everyone who has posted. I went in October '01 and stayed the first night at the Shereton, it's great, very American. great views and VERY ISolated! we moved to the Sol Ipenema the next night and were much happier.

Guest miguelmiche1

if you're looking for a hotel at the sheraton price level, but close to the action right in copacabana, just 3 blocks away from rogers and estacao, another option would be the marriott, the newest luxury hotel in rio. very expensive for rio but would be worth using if enrolled in their rewards program. i have not stayed there - prefer renting out apts or staying in smaller hotels and lavishing money on the young men themselves- but have checked out the rooms, full of all the most modern conveniences albeit on the small side. social pool area on the roof and very nice gym. fun for drinks at the bar to start the evening in any case. be forewarned: the more upscale the hotel in rio, the more difficult it will be to get yr boys in yr room.

Ditto, on all of the above. The Sheraton will cost you plenty in taxis back and forth as it must be 5 or 8 km out of the area you want to be in.

On another point, it is very difficult to bring a guest up to your hotel room, esp if they look Brazilian!!! Be prepared to be stopped and require that he register with you by showing ID, and you might get charged some kind of additional fee. It is really a pain in the ass, and embarrassing (but hell, this is Rio, so dont be) BUT at least there is good security, and you have less to worry about from fingers that might go through your pockets when you are in the shower!

And let Uncle Tri, once again, harp on the subject of bringing new Brazilian "friends" back to your hotel room. Unless it's someone you know really, really well, or who has been recommended as reliable here on M4M, DON'T! Local Brazilian clients wouldn't do that, either.

Brazil is full of "hotels-by-the-hour" known there as "motels" that are strictly for sex. They range from plain to luxurious, but in all cases they're much more suitable for hanky-panky than your hotel, they're not expensive, and they're much safer. Your new friend will know of some that are gay-friendly, and they're also listed on sites like http://www.netgay.com.br.

Alternatively, you can take your new friend to one of the non-hustler gay bath houses, where they don't charge for the use of a "cabine."

By doing this, you'll avoid lots of embarassment, unpleasantness and any risk of having valuables disappear from your own hotel room. Forewarned is forearmed!

Archived