Anybody flown TAM Airlines?

HardnThick
This topic is 8113 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thanks to all the great messages on this site, I’m planning a trip to Rio for next month. My normal airline can book me on one of their partners—TAM (Trans Aereos Meridionais). I guess it’s a Brazilian airline.

I’m wondering if TAM is worth all the frequent flier miles it takes to book a business class flight (comfort-wise, that is). I’m concerned because I’ve flown some Eastern European airlines that were a little primitive.

Sure would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Thanks.

:-)

I haven't flown TAM from the U.S. to Brazil (I've flown them within Brazil) but it's certainly not primitive. Definitely not an Eastern European airline, and nobody will be boarding with crates of live chickens or anything!

TAM partners with American Airlines, so check to be sure if your flight is actually operated by American. If it's American, I can say their international business class is quite pleasant and comfy. If your flight is actually operated by TAM, my guess is that their business class will be very good. In Brazil they pitch themselves as the businessman's airline, and the service is very attentive. If it's a TAM-operated flight, they have the advantage that labor costs are lower so they usually have more flight attendants on board to provide personalized service, and they're likely to splurge more on the business class food to make a good impression.

If you do fly business class on TAM, I'd like to hear your reaction when you return. For that matter, if you go coach, let us know how it is, too! Have a good trip!

It is operated by TAM.

Until I have to lock-in the reservation in a few days, I can check each day to see if a business seat becomes available on American (booked on TAM now).

Since I don't know TAM airlines, I'm trying to figure out if I should try to switch to American or stay with TAM.

:-)

Either one should be fine. Personally, I always think it's fun to take a foreign airline; it puts me in the mood before I even get to my destination! :-) Plus, there's usually some serious eye-candy flight attendants on Brazilian airlines! And the service, especially in international business class, should be very good.

Choices, choices! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest miguelmiche1

like tri, i have flown tam within brazil, and highly recommend them. in a whirlwind tour last november i flew tam between 10 cities and the flights always left on time, service was invariably excellent - much better than american's, the flights were smooth & comfortable, and no baggage issues. world class, much more pleasant experience than the us carriers. given the lack of competition, although there are some low-cost carriers now, flights can be expensive, which is why you should consider using yr american miles for flights within brazil if you plan on doing any traveling to other major cities.

miche

• 3 weeks later...

What's even more impressive is that they serve meals and even free alcoholic beverages on hour-long shuttle flights between Rio/Belo Horizonte, and Belo Horizonte/São Paulo!!! And plenty of handsome flight attendants! Varig and Rio-Sul also do this. In the U.S. you'd be lucky to get pretzels! As far as I know, only the new discount airlines in Brazil, like Gol or Fly, are skimping on meals.

Archived