Apartment in Rio

trilingual
This topic is 7831 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just to report that I've been staying in this apartment during my stay in Rio, and it's a good deal. It's very conveniently located to the Copacabana gay beach and the metro, and is also within walking distance of Roger's and Estacao saunas. All necessary services are nearby: banks, supermarkets, laundry, internet access points, etc. You can see photos of the apartment on Odilo's website. Air conditioning and cable have been installed, so you can stay cool while watching BBC World, CNN International, CNN en Espanol, RAI, TV5, etc. if you feel the need to watch the news in a language other than Portuguese.

The apartment is quiet. Although Barata Ribeiro is a very busy avenue, the apartment faces the back of the building. At this particular point of Copacabana, there is literally nothing behind the building except a green, forested hill side, which is the view out your window. (Lots of birds and butterflies to be observed.)

Odilo can also make arrangements with a reliable cab driver to meet you at the airport and pick you up for your return flight. Fare from the airport is R$45 (R$50 with a tip) or about US$20. I consider this worthwhile: it's nice to have someone waiting for you after a long, tiring flight, and you don't have to deal with the obnoxious taxi touts bugging everyone as they leave Customs.

Additionally, Odilo can rent you a pre-paid cell phone for use in Rio. (If you use Odilo's driver, he can have the apartment keys and cell phone for you when he picks you up at the airport.) To use the phone, buy a prepaid ATL phone card at any newstand, scratch off the covering on the activation number on the back, dial *99, then 2, then enter the activation number. Calls aren't cheap: R$0.99/minute. If you use the phone much, you should also get a regular phone card for the pay phones; much cheaper rates. Fortunately, Brazil uses the "calling party pays" system, so you don't get charged on the cell phone for any incoming calls. You can then return calls from a pay phone, if you wish.

Altogether, this is an excellent value if you want to avoid the hotels and try a bit of "life as a Carioca."

• 5 months later...

Did you try olima@pacbell.net? Otherwise, try phoning him at the numbers listed on the website. Odilo had been on an extended trip to Southeast Asia and maybe his e-mail filled up, or perhaps there was a problem with his server. Try again, and if you still can't get through, just phone. He's back from his trip so you should be able to reach him.

Tri,

Thanks very muck for your response. I did try that address. I also forwarded the e-mail to the agent. I will phone Odilo this weekend.

Did the rate include linens and towels, etc? Unbelieveable inexpensive and looks great!! Thanks so much!!

Yes, towels and linens are included, and, if you're there long enough, there are enough to change the bed while you take the dirty ones to the laundry to be washed. The day you leave, Odilo expects you to take the dirty linen and towels to the laundry (he'll give you the exact instructions when you rent the place) and give the receipt to the agent, along with the keys and the cell phone, if you've rented that for your stay.

Also, there's cable TV with BBC World, CNN, TV5, RAI, DW and a few other foreign channels with news, along with all the Brazilian channels, of course! But for the Portuguese-challenged, this means you can get news in English!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

>See http://www.geocities.com/sf54_99 for details on an

>apartment for rent in Rio owned by Odilo,

Of course we don't do anything on this board to supplement our meager income. Such as commissions for advertising apartment or commissions off the fees of fluffy or commissions (at least attempted free entries) to the saunas claiming he advertised them in US.

NO NO Auntie TRI is just good and kind, the all-knowing soul of male prstitution in Brazil.

God only knows what all that other stuff was in Odilo's new e-mail address. I didn't type that in! The correct new e-mail address is oclima@dc.rr.com.

In case anyone wonders, I have received NO commissions or freebies from anyone I've mentioned on this site. (Although maybe I've been foolish not to!) As for the apartment, its owner (Odilo) is a personal friend I've known for more than twenty years. I'll be staying at the apartment in January. But just for the record, I am paying Odilo rent for the use of the apartment.

>As for the apartment, its

>owner (Odilo) is a personal friend I've known for more than

>twenty years. I'll be staying at the apartment in January.

>But just for the record, I am paying Odilo rent for the use of

>the apartment.

Hmmh, given your discourse on paying local rates and tipping, I doubt there is much daylight between a freebie and the rate that you will be paying? Will you pay the same "market" rate as any of the folks on the site here to whom you are marketing the apartment? Isn't there a policy against this, Daddy?

See http://www.geocities.com/sf54_99 for details on an apartment for rent in Rio owned by Odilo, a gay architect (originally Brazilian) in San Francisco. There are details in the Flying Down to Rio thread, but that's getting so long I decided to post this here. Since my last posts about the apartment, I've been informed by Odilo that the air conditioner and cable TV (for news in English) have been installed.

Odilo can also arrange for a pickup at the airport by a reliable radio taxi, which can be very welcome when staggering off an umpteen-hour flight from the Northern Hemisphere (or farther)! The driver can take you to a convenient ATM so you can get cash.

There is also a hair dryer, in case you forget yours, or don't have the right voltage. You'll be showering a lot in the tropics, so a hair dryer is a handy thing to have. Odilo can also provide the use of a pre-paid cellular phone for your stay in Rio.

Odilo has been making regular improvements to the apartment, so expect more in the near future.

RE: Baiting

Trilingual, please resist the urge to respond to the above post. You have made it clear that you receive nothing for sharing this info even though the baiter insists on calling it marketing. He can't help himself as everyone on this board is by now well aware. Just let it be, take Daddy's advice, and move on to enjoy your month or so of well earned and much envied time in the south. And ad rian, before your fingers fire up to sling back some kind of freedom of speech and post rhetoric, just let it be. Come on, you don't ALWAYS have to have the last word do you?

Yes Daddy, isn't there a policy - Against (late-coming)posters who consistently bait and attack legitimate long term posters and disrupt threads?

As you can see I have been posting for quite over a year; subsequent to the time that Adrian and Iam NOBODY came to this board and to this site in particular-- most of the posters wrote about the topic and did not attack, and those posters who did constantly attack other posters did in time get booted off! There are a few names that I remember but no longer see.

I have had enough of these two men who have constantly spoiled threads of information because of their apparent closed mindeness, jealousy, envy, insensitivity, myopia, biases, and on and on and on.

Trilingual, (his given tag) merely informed the board of an email address change.

How did what Adrian and Iam... wrote enhance the information?

Now both of you cite Odelia's new email address verbatim in order to rent his flat when you save enough of your pennies to journey to Brasil! Axiom has written enough...!!!

PS I wrote five paragraphs but decided to delete, for I am NOT one who intentionally disparages. I try to stick to the topic when writing, too!

> even though the baiter insists on calling it

>marketing. He can't help himself as everyone on this board is

>by now well aware. Just let it be, take Daddy's advice, and

>move on to enjoy your month or so of well earned and much

>envied time in the south. And ad rian, before your fingers

>fire up to sling back some kind of freedom of speech and post

>rhetoric, just let it be. Come on, you don't ALWAYS have to

>have the last word do you?

No, but it sure looks like marketing to me. As for the rest, please Tri loves to dish out the criticism, but he can't take it. Do you not read what he says about me? Sorry, I find his constant lectures about Brazil tiresome.

>Yes Daddy, isn't there a policy - Against

>(late-coming)posters who consistently bait and attack

>legitimate long term posters and disrupt threads?

bait and attack? Surely, you must be thinking of Tri and his alter ego Axiom? Does it really bother you so much that there are people whose views differ from yours?

>PS I wrote five paragraphs but decided to delete, for I am

>NOT one who intentionally disparages. I try to stick to the

>topic when writing, too!

I hope that is a new year's resolution on your part, and I hope you will stick to it. For my part, I will reserve the right to reply to any or all atacks. I sure hope that you also learn to accept that people can reasonably differ with your views.

Version I

>I have had enough of these two men who have constantly

>spoiled threads of information because of their apparent

>closed mindeness, jealousy, envy, insensitivity, myopia,

>biases, and on and on and on.

Version II

>PS I wrote five paragraphs but decided to delete, for I am

>NOT one who intentionally disparages. I try to stick to the

>topic when writing, too!

Which one is the real Axiom? Only the shadow knows! Fr the life of me, I can't understand why to disagree with ither you or Tri leads to the charge of closed mindeness, jealousy, envy, insensitivity, myopia,biases, and on and on and on."? Is your self-confidence so lacking that you can't believe that others can reasonably disagree with either you or Tri?

ad rian,

it's your right to find anyone or anything tiresome. It is your right to post when you disagree with someone else's opinions or posts. No one, least of all me, would deny that since I recall the thread I started about the potential for loss of individual freedoms and privacy. You had some things to add to that thread and offered them. what I find troubling is the tendency to declare your differences over and over. Now to you, it may seem like a new reply because you often use quotes from the post you are replying to. But to me, and pardon me for saying it so bluntly, it ends up being the same opinion, just said in a different response. Then the back and forth seems to get nasty. I want to say to you, I do not mean any of this as an attack. I respect your opinion whether it differs from mine or not. I think in this thread, Tri was sharing legit info. Your inference that he had an ulterior motive for doing so seems petty. You may not mean it to, but there it is. And so what if he does (which he says he does not)? Let it go. Post your opinion once and let it go.

>Now to you, it may seem like a new reply because you often use

>quotes from the post you are replying to. But to me, and

>pardon me for saying it so bluntly, it ends up being the same

>opinion, just said in a different response. Then the back and

>forth seems to get nasty. I want to say to you, I do not mean

>any of this as an attack. I respect your opinion whether it

>differs from mine or not. I think in this thread, Tri was

>sharing legit info. Your inference that he had an ulterior

>motive for doing so seems petty. You may not mean it to, but

>there it is. And so what if he does (which he says he does

>not)? Let it go. Post your opinion once and let it go.

Well, I appreciate your perspective, but when others follow that rule, I will too. Why not try that on your friends Tri and Axiom first. Have you ever counted Ttri's posts and done a word count (and nastiness count while you are at it) within each post, I think you will find that I am a monor offender in comparison. As for Tri's info in this case, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on both its legitimacy and appropriateness.

ad rian,

Without getting Daddy upset with me for staying off topic, I wanted to say to you, I would have preferred to send you a private message but your profile is disabled. You could set up a blind email at Yahoo or hotmail and private it to me and we could continue, which I would enjoy since I believe we could give and take on a variety of subjects. In response to your above post, yes I have done a count, I did send a private to Tri. I have never met any of you, so saying I am friends of one or another doesn't wash either. But with relation to waiting for others to change before you do, I have always given you credit for more intelligence than that. If our society's growth as moral, caring people depended on that perspective, we would still be trying to light fires in caves. Come on, The world can be changed by one person. We shouldn't allow ourselves to drop below our abilities simply because someone else does. The fact that others do it, does not make it mandatory to respond in kind. Please consider that the intellect you so often display on a variety of topics is cheapened by the statement of "well they do it so I will too". I have regard for your feelings and respect for your opinions and I agree to disagree as gentlemen. Now you can reply and have the last word.

Archived