Jet Lag ? any cures......

Guest biga
This topic is 8271 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

><<what stimulated this rather dramatic response from you?>>

>

>the post to which i responded.

>here's a hint: you can

>find it above my posting.

>

Oh, you mean the one above your posting that I DID read before I replied. The questions still stands. What exactly in HooBoy's post brought you to state:

>i see the efforts to shit

>on everything i post have

>reached new heights. wouldn't it

>be more effective for you

>to just remove my posting

>capabilities?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: Melatonin

Living in San Francisco is great, except that it is VERY far from almost everywhere else except L.A., Vancouver, and other West Coast cities. Coast to coast flights seem to take forever. Flights to Europe (especially if a connection is involved) seem eternal.

Nevertheless, I've managed to deal pretty well with jet lag the past few years with the help of melatonin and some sensible habits, especially on those terribly disorienting west-to-east flights. For what it's worth, here's my latest method:

1) The day I leave, I figure out when "bedtime" will be at my destination, but in local time. I.e., midnight in Berlin would be 3:00 p.m. San Francisco time. That's when I take a melatonin, to start readjusting my body's clock. Melatonin, especially at night, makes me drowsy, but it doesn't last long and I usually don't sleep through the entire endless flight. A good book comes in handy. I eat and drink whenever, but I do try to stay hydrated.

2) Upon arrival, which is usually in the morning or even as late as noon, I do my best NOT to go to sleep immediately. Usually this isn't that hard, as I'm running on a second wind. I try to be outside in natural light for a while, maybe taking a brief walk or doing some errands. By then I find I'm fading after being up for umpteen hours, so I take an afternoon nap for 2 - 4 hours. IMPORTANT: I get up, shower, get dressed and go have a light dinner. Hopefully, it's still light when I get up from my nap. After dinner, I stay up until normal bedtime and take another melatonin before going to sleep.

Lately, I've found that's all it takes. By the next day I'm in good shape. If I have trouble sleeping the first few nights, I'd also try the benadryl routine. All I need is to be in the same room with the stuff and I get sleepy!!! And you don't need a prescription.

I've never had too much trouble with this, so I guess everyone's different. When going to Europe the advice that has been repeated here of not going to sleep until bedtime is very sound. The first thing I do when I arrive is take a shower and freshen up. Depending on how the flight has gone I may lay down and close my eyes for 15-30 minutes just to let my body get a little rest after being in that seated position for so long. Then I get out and walk around quite bit. The exercise helps get me awake. I follow the normal routine and eat at regular meal times. The key is to get on the new schedule ASAP.

My last trip was to London and I made it thru the whole day and then on until 2 AM until I hit the wall I needed sleep.

Going to Australia you will probably arrive in the early AM after a very long flight. Try and stretch a bit during the flight whenever you can. Snag an aisle seat if possible. You'll love Oz, I know I did!

Archived