Chicago Memories...can anyone relate?

Guest jc92103
This topic is 8276 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest jc92103

A post in the Hustler's forum got me thinking about the good old days growing up in Chicago. I'll throw out a few names and see if anyone from my generation springs to life. Stop 69, Chaps, The Gold Coast, The original Eagle, Jumbo Jerry's, The St. Regis Hotel. Such sweet memories of Gay life in the Dearborn/ Hubbard St area. And those crazy days at Lane Tech...cutting class and riding the bus to " Mimi's Mature Books" on Cicero for a blowjob. What the hell was the name of that dive bar on the corner of Hubbard and Clark? Not Daley's...but right before that. My God...don't even get me started on the Bijou!!! Does anyone remember the night during IML that they opened the passageway between the Bijou and Carol's Speakeasy? Oh what a night! I'm probably the only guy in this forum who remembers the third floor of the Bijou! Just one more...Am I the only queer kid in Lakeview who went to Wrigley for the sole purpose of taking a piss in the circular urinal?? Over and over; an Rc and a piss, an RC and a piss. Those WERE the days!

<<Am I the only queer kid in Lakeview who went to Wrigley for the sole purpose of taking a piss in the circular urinal?? Over and over; an Rc and a piss, an RC and a piss. Those WERE the days! >>

Honey, I still do that. Only these days it's a Budweiser and a piss, a Budweiser and a piss ...

My "buddy" who goes to ballgames with me is a very together str8 woman who knows EXACTLY what I'm up to when I go to pee. For the longest time, she didn't believe what I told her and then one Thanksgiving she asked her older brothers. They were all like "Oh, yeah! That happens."

Can't you just *see* that Thanksgiving conversation? }>

Good luck getting tickets!

They've had a winning season and Cubs fans are not used to that, so they're pretty much sold out.

I have tickets for Friday's Braves game, tho. ;-)

The weather should be perfect. Ask me Saturday how the game (bathroom) was.

Carol's Speakeasy. If memory serves, that was the place on Wells that was Jeffrey Dahmer's last hangout? Yikes. To quote a police sergeant involved in the early discoveries, "I'm not saying cannibalism. All I'm saying is, when we searched the kitchen we found no food, only condiments."

Guest ChiGuy2

The Bar you are thinking of that used to be at the corner of Clark and Hubbard was the New Flight..... Man this thread jogged a couple of old memories... and of course Go Cubbies, they better not ever update the bathrooms there :-)

Guest WetDream

Does anyone remember a terrific and strange drag performer named Vera (Vinyl???) that appeared at several of the clubs in the early 70s? Her act consisted of sitting at a vanity, slowly applying makeup, smoking cigarettes, staring into space with a depressed look on her face -- all under flashing strobe lights. Very post-Warholian, but accomplished in her own way.

One of the places I remember seeing her was a post-punk dive pn Halsted called the Snake Pit(?). The bar fell on bad days when it decided to redecorate with a country/western theme. Its ambiance was destroyed. (The only good thing about the new decor were the restrooms labeled "Dale" and "Roy.")

Archived