Recs on San Francisco

ManHoleNC
This topic is 8276 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Non-sexual things to see: Beach Blanket Babylon ... A must.... Don't let the name fool you - it's a way over the top show about searching for love in all the wrong places with big hair and costumes not to be believed.

Sex Clubs - there aren't that many in the area anymore: Blow Buddies (which have different fetish nights every wed but is otherwise pretty vanilla oral sex only, nonetheless attracts some number of leatherish folks; a fairly vanilla one called Eros, which actually does have showers and a sauna; one recently reopened that had been really raunchy with not entirely safe sex going on, but you can insist, called Mack). There are much more production full scale Bathhouses in Berkeley (30 minute drive at night) and San Jose (at elast an hour drive).

Bars: one would need to know more about your desired demographics.

Accomodations? What price range and where do you want to be. Close to downtown, the Castro. Will you have a car or be using the Muni? San Francisco has hotel rooms ranging from Worlds Best top ten lists - The Ritz Carlton- to flophouses in the Tenderloin and everthing in between. Without knowing more I would say stay away from anything advertised as close to Fisherman's Wharf for starters. Once we know a bit more can be a bit more targeted with our recommendations.

I am not sure of the area...that is one of my questions. I have stayed in the Wharf with my folks...I know I want to be in a more gay active area.

My price range is from 150 to 200 a night ideally. We will have a car so we can do other things during the day...like go into Marin County, hike up Mt. Tam, visit Muir woods etc. Thanks for your help.

Guest Kevin 2

"I would say stay away from anything advertised as close to Fisherman's Wharf for starters." I'm trying to plan a trip to SF also can I ask why you say stay away from this area?

>"I would say stay away from anything advertised as close to

> Fisherman's Wharf for starters."

>

> I'm trying to plan a trip to SF also can I ask why you say

> stay away from this area?

Because it's a noisy, crowded, overpriced (even more than the rest of SF, that is ...) tourist trap, and not particularly close to anything interesting.

Guest WetDream

If you like to mingle with lots of middle class, straight (very straight) tourists, look at nothing but boring t-shirt and tourist-junk shops and breathe air infused with the aroma of boiling crab, the Fisherman's Wharf area might be just the place for you. P.S. It is not particularly to the downtown area, and is far from Castro and the South of Market club scene. One can see quite enough of the FW area on the way to the ferryboat to Alcatraz (worth the trip).

A general rule of thumb: the areas of a city that you've heard about the most are the ones to avoid.

Guest Gentle Dude

If you want to stay at a 5-star hotel and not pay the normal price advertised, go to San Francisco Hotel Hotline or call 1-800-361-1029. The Ritz-Carlton is currently advertised from as low as $120.00 a night, the Mark Hopkins $110.00 a night and the Fairmont at $100.00 a night. I just booked a suite at the Fairmont Hotel yesterday for the end of September (Folsom Street Fair), and I'm only paying $258.00 a night but I'm using my business rate. The site also gives you a listing of all other hotels in the area, a number of which is below $100.00. I recommend the Mark Hopkins or the Fairmont Hotel because it's only a block away from the famous Nob Hill Theater....a "must see" during your stay here in San Francisco. In addition, the cable car is just walking distance by the corner of Powell St. where you can go all the way to Fisherman's Wharf or downtown San Francisco.

I hope the info helps. :)

GD

If you really want to stay in a gay area....try a motel in the South of Market ...walking distance to several leather and sleazy bars.

Like Best Western Civic Center at 9th and Harrison or the one across the street from it...can't remember the name.

I can't remember the name of the motel my friends like on Market St. near the Castro.

These are not quite the same as the previously mentioned hotels.

Guest WetDream

You are probably thinking about Beck's Motor Lodge -- and it is certainly in the heart of the Castro (415/621-8212. The things those rooms must have seen! There is a B&B on 14th/Church/Market that used to be very nice (very Laura Ashley) called the Willows (415/421-4770). It is right across the street fro John Frank, a terrific restaurant. And be sure to have a drink at the Tonga Room at the Fairmont.

It is plain tacky.

Nice hotel with nice lobby is Hotel Monaco. Part of the Kimpton Group. Probably close to $200/night range. I have friends that usually stay there and are always happpy. Is Union Square (shopping downtown) area.

W Hotel is nice, in south of Market area. Is uber hip, once the place to stay for the dot.com-IPO crowd. However, since they are all broke, they don't have clientele anymore. Rates are less than $200. The rooms are very tasteful and modern. Nice linens. However, the lobby bar is filled with local straights dressed in black. If you can get past the crowd downstairs, is a nice place.

I agree with the prior advise. I've stayed at the Inn on Castro recently and it's still nice. I haven't stayed at the Willows for some time. There some other Castro B&Bs, but I don't know how good they are.

However, generally when I visit SF, I now stay around Union Square. There's a butt load of super nice hotels and nice boutique type small hotels. The muni train is only a few blocks away and the shopping's great. Most are listed on Travelocity.com.

Guest starfucker

If you and your BF have never visited San Francisco you will need to endure the straight tourists and see the most obvious baisc city sights such as: Alcatraz at Fisherman's Wharf (and a fresh crab or shrimp sandwich on sourdough), Coit Tower, a cable car ride (walk up a couple blocks on Powell street to avoid the long tourist line at Market and Powell), the crooked part of Lombard Street and the Golden Gate Bridge.

For accomodations there are a few B&B in the Castro area but if you are renting a car parking will be a problem. Much of the city (Castro included) requires residential parking permits for more than 2 hours on the street. For this reason I would stay at Beck's Motor Lodge. Parkling is provided and you can bring a parade of men in your room without turning the head of the B&B proprietors.

Theer are numerous bars in the Castro catering to different types. Daddy's may be your favorite if you are into leather and/or a more mature crowd. South of Market I recommend the Powerhouse. Some walking and talking will give you the best tips for your tastes.

No bathhouses in San Francisco. Eros (at Market near Church - across from Safeway) can be fun if you are a voyeur or exhibitionist. It's all open action. I've had fun there but you may find attitude if you are of less than average looks/body. Hours are around 6pm-2am. Blow buddies attracts some hot guys but it's oral only. If you're into glory hole sucking, this is your place to be. If you are renting a car your best bet is the Steamworks in Berkeley. Easy to get to and 24 hour action with all types of guys. A beautiful facility in San Jose is the Watergarden. They now have an outdoor pool and the weather here in October is likely to be worthy of sunning and swimming . Less attitude but on par with the caliber of men. I find the Watergarden to be very hit or miss. I've done 4 in 4 hours and 0 in 6. Your scores will depend upon how choosey you are.

<...walk up a couple blocks on Powell street to avoid the long tourist line at Market and Powell), the crooked part of Lombard Street and the Golden Gate Bridge...>

A better cable car ride is to start on California street, near the Financial District. It crosses some of the city on a east-west route. Rarely a line, and you ascend a large hill as you pass Chinatown. Why not ride the cable car as the locals might.

It takes you to Van Ness Street, a block away from Polk Street, the older gay area. It was the main gay area before Castro became what it is. Not much in Polk Street now, except some hustler bars.

A nice 1-2 day trip out of town is Russian River area. Guernville is the main town. Kinda like P-town, but with a western look and lots of redwood trees. Sonoma and Napa wineries area nearby.

If you are not planning on bringing a lot of guys in and out, a nice B&B near Castro is Belvedere House. No parking, but I was able to hire a car nearby for a day trip to Sonoma. Ferraro-Carani vineyards (hope I spelled that correctly) was very nice. I stayed at Belvedere House for a weekend in April for $120 per night, although I don't know what the current rate is. Terrific, friendly people. I arrived very late (after 9 P.M.), but this was not a problem. They did not accept credit cards, only cash or travelers checks.

http://www.belvederehouse.com

Archived