What's the difference?

Guest WetDream
This topic is 8321 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest WetDream

I've been keeping tabs on the "straight-acting" thread (surely one of the longest on this board where someone hasn't turned incredibly bitchy). I would be interested in how you men would define different qualities of the words "homosexual," "gay" and "queer." Which one would you use to best describe yourself?

My understanding is that "homosexual" is a biological group: all men who are sexually attracted to men.

"Gay" means a homosexual who has accepted this and is comfortable (a relative term) with his orientation.

"Gueers" are political gays. They are often in-your-face gays.

I consider myself gay. I am too old to accept queer - it still carries too much baggage from my youth.

Dick

If actually speaking to others I would use any of the above terms and my choice would be determined by the audience I was trying to communicate to. I've always felt that good communication is clear commuincation and therefore I've felt it important to talk to people in terms that they understand and relate to.

As for a self description it would have to be queer because I've been very political for many years. However, my politics have been those of persuasion rather than confrontation; that has proven to be more effective for me, and the successes have been major.

Archived