Is the West End's "Sunset Boulevard" revival really headed to B'way ?

Ali Gator

This past week, Nicole Scherzinger (of 'The Pussycat Dolls') made her debut at the Savoy Theater in the "totally-reimagined", highly anticipated, 30th Anniversary production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical SUNSET BOULEVARD. Under direction of Jamie Lloyd, do not expect the lavish, opulent production which debuted in London (starring Patti Lupone) in July, 1993 or the lavish, opulent Broadway production starring Glenn Close in 1994. Don't expect the scaled-down setting (but beautifully costumed) revival starring Glenn Close on both sides of the Atlantic in 2016-17. 

Lloyd is a 'minimalist' director - which means no costumes, no settings, and no props. Just actors and minimal lighting, and a 17 member orchestra. Going after a much younger audience than the original or the revival, its said he has 'sexed up' this musical (an intimacy coach has been hired for the sex scenes between Scherzinger and costar Tom Francis), and sets the tone early on as you enter the theater in complete darkness. Norma's costumes have been replaced with just one silky, sexy dress for every scene and the rest of the cast have traded in their 1950s drag for more modern clothing (hoodies and sweats, at least for this week's previews). 

So far, the previews have gotten mixed reactions from audience members - going in to see a Jamie Lloyd directed musical, they all knew what they were getting. Tom Francis (and his beautiful body) has fared the best in their personal reviews, while Scherzinger has gotten mixed (saying she played some scenes as though she was performing with the Pussycat Dolls). Though Norma is supposed to be 50, Scherzinger is 45 and made up to look like she's in her 30s  -  just a few years older than 'Joe', not 20 years older.  The ending and the curtain call shocked everyone (as Lloyd intended) , and video of the curtain call can be found on line. 

How's it selling on the West End ? This limited engagement, running for 16 weeks before it closes in early January, is not selling as expected. As of this past week, performances through October show ticket availability at 80%. We shall see if reviews after opening night will make a difference. 

Will it hit Broadway next year for the 30th Anniversary ?  Broadway insiders say yes - with Nicole and Tom in talks to transfer with it. However, with so many revivals opening in the second half of the 2023-24 season, expect to be part of the 2024-25 season. Sources for ATG (which is financing this show) have been 'scouting theaters' for next season - small theaters to be exact, as they don't need a lot of room for a handful of actors in the cast, no staging or props, and a minimal orchestra of 17 musicians. 

I doubt it's moving with her, as she's not enough of a name in the States to carry the show.  Plus, she's sitting tight until they close Sunset so she can move to the Chicago company of Death Becomes Her for it's pre-Broadway tryout (or, so I'm told).

I haven't seen this new production of Sunset yet, but will in a couple of weeks.  The director is known for this being his shtick.  Jamie Lloyd has a calling card in his direction and artistic style.  Lots of black & white.  White sneakers.  Blood.  Lots of video.  People exiting the theatre into the streets outside.  

He's done it with his productions of Evita, A Doll's House, Cyrano and Assassins.  

2 hours ago, MikeThomas said:

Interesting it received a standing ovation.  London audiences are much more stingy than American ones when it comes to standing and curtain calls.

They were, but sadly the American 'stand for anything' aesthetic has taken over the West End.

Thankfully, the Brits still don't give entrance applause (or, do so sparingly).  

I once saw Judi Dench do a play at Stratford and it was dead silent as she made her first entrance.  

I loved it.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

From everything I'm reading on social media, theater forums, etc. for the past week of performances :  This show needs costumes and settings. It can not survive on the score alone, no matter how much the cast tries to make it happen. General consensus is that Jamie Lloyd was the wrong choice for the 30th anniversary revival. 

I was planning on a trip to London later this month partly to see Sunset Boulevard.  I started to get concerned about the show when I was seeing reactions last week.  To be sure, some people loved it.  I don't, however, think the "minimalist" approach is the right way to go with a show like Sunset Boulevard.  I also agree with Ali Gator that this show needs sets and costumes.   I think I'll put off my trip to early 2024 when I can see Plaza Suite with Mathew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker (also at the Savoy).

On 10/6/2023 at 10:39 PM, WilliamM said:

As to Americans audiences and standing ovations:

No standing ovations in 1960 for the original casts of Take Me Along,  Gypsy and The Sound of Music 

I recall reading on another message forum not too long ago that standing O's in America started in 1981 when the iconic celebrity Lauren Bacall came to B'way to star in "Woman of the Year" after a ten year absence (1970's "Applause") . It was at a time when "older actresses" were thought past their prime in Hollywood movies, so there was always a home for them on the Broadway stage - and the audience enthusiastically welcomed them back. As more and more actors and actresses returned to B'way (Lena Horne in 'The Lady and Her Music' was around the same time) the more and more popular the standing O became (which legend doesn't like to look out and seeing a standng O ?) ...by the 1990s it was just standard practice to give a standing O to everyone. 

4 minutes ago, Ali Gator said:

I recall reading on another message forum not too long ago that standing O's in America started in 1981 when the iconic celebrity Lauren Bacall came to B'way to star in "Woman of the Year" after a ten year absence (1970's "Applause") . It was at a time when "older actresses" were thought past their prime in Hollywood movies, so there was always a home for them on the Broadway stage - and the audience enthusiastically welcomed them back. As more and more actors and actresses returned to B'way (Lena Horne in 'The Lady and Her Music' was around the same time) the more and more popular the standing O became (which legend doesn't like to look out and seeing a standng O ?) ...by the 1990s it was just standard practice to give a standing O to everyone. 

When Ethel Merman heard her sing for the first time, she said dhit lloud enough for Bacall to hear from the stage 

21 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Let us know your thoughts once you see it. I’m curious if you enjoyed it. Thanks! 

It was different, that's for sure.

Vocally, the show is strong.  If you enjoy the music, it's all there.  Orchestra sounds lush.

However... It's just the fucking bare stage, black costumes and a lot of the acting choices that are being directed.  It feels schticky.

People are saying this will move to Broadway.  I hope that doesn't happen.

2 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

It was different, that's for sure.

Vocally, the show is strong.  If you enjoy the music, it's all there.  Orchestra sounds lush.

However... It's just the fucking bare stage, black costumes and a lot of the acting choices that are being directed.  It feels schticky.

People are saying this will move to Broadway.  I hope that doesn't happen.

Thanks for review.  I really appreciate it.  

• 2 months later...

Turns out that Sunset Boulevard with Nicole Scherzinger will be going to Broadway after all.  Seems that it will commence in late 2024.  I have to say I'm kind of surprised.  I don't think the West End run was a smashing success.  Reviews were very mixed.

WWW.BROADWAYWORLD.COM

BroadwayWorld can confirm that that Jamie Lloyd's new production of Sunset Boulevard, led by Nicole Scherzinger, will open on Broadway later this year. Learn more about the...

London ate this up critically, but it wasn't a box office smash.

New York critics beat the shit out of the original.  

Perhaps this new approach will change that...  We shall see.

At least they're not spending much of anything on a set. 

Broadway audiences might wonder why the hell they paid $300+ for a ticket.