Tipping Dancers at Gaiety

Guest Flyboy
This topic is 8840 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Flyboy

While reading another thread here someone mentioned always tipping $20 to the dancers at the Gaiety. That seemed high to me but I guess it resulted in a lot of attention. What's the norm? I'm visiting in a couple of weeks and was thinking of trying it out. What's a normal tip (not including a private session etc.)?

Guest SFJEFF

You only have to tip at the Gaiety if you are sitting by the stage and not even then if you don't want to. At the Nob Hill Theatre in San Fran, the dancers come out into the audience and do lap dances. Tipping there makes more sense. But at the Gaiety it's a runway shopping spree for the private show later. So I would sit one or two away from the stage and save your money for the private shows :)

Eeeek, 20 bucks? I think the most typical tip is a dollar or two. If you're sitting at the stage or in the front row, my feeling is you should be tipping the guys (it is optional of course). I sometimes tip a 5, but that is definitely not the expectation.

I go to the Gaiety everytime I get to NYC (4 or 5 times per year). SF Jeff states:...."I would sit one or two away from the stage

and save your money for the private shows". From my observations, this is absolutely true. Only the people in the front row and on the side tables seem to tip (tips must be placed on the floor and NOT given to the dancer personally). From what I could see, tips were mostly $1.

Yes, only those with "courtside" seats even get an opportunity to tip. $1 for the first dance, but $2 or more for the second dance is appropriate. A $5 or $10 tip in a rare instance, if you want to make sure the dancer acknowledges you in the "green room". But it doesn't guarantee anything if the dancer is already pre-booked. Just be nice in the "green room", and usually you can gin the attention of the dancer you wish to "talk" to in private.

The beauty of the Gaiety is that even if you do not get to go off with your first choice, I have usually had no problems making a second or third or fourth choice.

Guest jeejer

Has the tipping changed because of fear of touching the dancer. When ever I have been there(which has not been in the last year) you slipped the money into a sock or boot.

Archived