Overnight oats & banana "ice" cream

Jim_n_NYC

Just want to share these two recipes (if you will) of things I started doing recently to make it easier to eat healthy.

Overnight oats.  So easy to do.  I take a mason jar (with a lid) that is at least half as large as I need.  For the two of us I use...

1) 3/4 cup rolled oats (can use steel cut, but might need more milk)

2) 3/4 cup fat free milk

3) one smashed banana (mean SMASHED...til it is pure liquid with no lumps)

4) one tablespoon ground flax seed

5) cinnamon.

Put all ingredients in the mason jar and put on the lid, then shake it like crazy.  Put it in the fridge over night.

In the morning you can eat it cold (in fact the recipe I saw said that is how you are supposed to eat it), but I prefer hot oatmeal so I microwave it to heat it up.  That's where the oversized jar comes in...so it doesn't bubble up and get all over the microwave.  I add crushed walnuts right before I eat it.

Haven't tried too many variations yet.  I did add some chopped dates one time which makes it much sweeter (otherwise, it's not super sweet, but still good)

Banana "ice" cream.  Slice up how ever many bananas you think you'll want and freeze them (1 to 2 per person, I guess).

After fully frozen, put the slices in a food processor and process them until smooth.  Oh, prior to starting I add some cinnamon.  I put these back in the freezer containers to partially refreeze (though, you might not have to...but I usually do this before I cook dinner).

This recipe could also include some variations which I have not tried yet.  Use the most ripe bananas you have so it'll be sweeter.

This might be something that is known in diabetic circles or some other condition that requires a special diet.

Edited by Jim_n_NYC