Going ice skating after a falling and hurting my knee?

FreshFluff

2 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

So just go skating without doing squats. Non-stressful activities such as walking or just regular skating (without the jumps, squats, etc.) are actually helpful for arthritic knees. 

Thanks. That’s convenient because, as a child, I only made it to basic spins. By now, all I can do is skate forward. 

Although there have previously been a number of randomized clinical trials in more controlled settings, a study just came out last month in the Journal of the American Medical Association which seemed to confirm the benefit of diet and exercise in knee osteoarthritis in a community setting:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2799405

It should be noted, however that the benefit was small, and the exercise group also had a few more minor injuries (none serious) than in the control group. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw my internist, who seemed a little alarmed at the remaining swelling and numbness.  There is likely some “nerve involvement.” He warned me to rest the knee and referred me to sports medicine/ortho for follow up care. The sports medicine doctor will see me next week. 

(Doctor Internist, if you’re reading this, you’re the best!)