Babylon

pitman

Saw a preview screening of this a few days ago.  Its a hot mess -  excessive, epic and over the top.  At 3 hours its way too long, but has a few great scenes amidst all the trash.  I'm not recommending it, but I know there is an audience for this kind of film.  If you are interested you should definitely see it on a BIG screen.  Its a BIG film, though not a good one.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently saw this because of the cast and all the buzz between Golden Globe and Critics Choice Nominations and all I can think of is why? There are some really good moments the cinematography, costumes and always hot Brad Pitt. BUT this movie is way too long. It could have easily been edited by at least 30 minutes+. I was watching it and thinking to myself come on move on as we don't need an image for minutes. If this was edited properly it really could have been a good film.

• 2 months later...

Babylon has now been released for viewing on Paramount+

Saw it the other night and thought it was long, but brilliant.  Beautiful, one-take shots.  The DP and Choreographer must have spent eons putting these scenes together.  

I wouldn't call it trash.  It's epic, grand, overblown, sure, but not trash.  

Some great performances from familiar faces.  It's also a very raw look at the transition between silent film and talkies, which must have played hell for the entire industry.  

Edited by BenjaminNicholas