In from the Side: Where to watch

Doe Be Doe

• 7 months later...

It's available on a number of the streaming services, including Amazon Prime, Google Play, Vudu, Apple TV and You Tube, all for a relatively low price.

Watched it this weekend.  Interestingly, on Rotten Tomatoes, the critics haven't much liked it (54%), but the audience has loved it (93%).

I found it to be a powerful, moving film.  I barely know anything about rugby, but you don't need to.  Like a number of other recent "gay" movies, it's refreshingly free of any coming out story or gay characters struggling with homophobia in some form.  The gay characters live in a world where they're all out, they're accepted by family, friends and in the workplace (to the extent a viewer sees), and they're simply living their lives, enabling the movie to deal with the complexities of gay relationships in the context of an all-gay amateur sports team, not your average film setting, to say the least.  The two lead actors--both in their first feature-length film roles--turn in terrific performances IMHO, not to mention that they're both very easy on the eyes.  The supporting performances are also quite good.  The negative reviews from critics seem mostly to focus on the quality of the script and on length (it's 2 1/4 hours), but I didn't think it ever dragged.  Without veering into spoiler territory, I think the time is well-used for developments in both the main story and in the side stories.  What really remains with me is that, towards the end, both the main characters go through gut-wrenching emotional experiences, and these both affected me deeply enough that, after the movie ended, I had to get up and walk around for a while just to get my own emotional equilibrium back.

All that being said, despite the 93% rating at Rotten Tomatoes, the audience reviews on google and on IMDB are very mixed, so I would suggest looking at some of them before making a decision whether to use the 2+ hours to watch the movie.  (Although you should also remember that there are efforts to bad-review-bomb almost every "gay" movie, making any very short one star review suspect.)

20 hours ago, dutchal said:

Although you should also remember that there are efforts to bad-review-bomb almost every "gay" movie, making any very short one star review suspect.

I am highly suspicious of most 1-star reviews of gay-themed films & TV series, not just the very short ones.  Since I always read some Imdb reviews before watching something on Netflix, I notice that way too many reviews sound just a little too similar.  They never take issue with the gay storyline, characters, or even the sex & nudity.  They always discuss the acting, script, production values, etc., but as if they're all written off the same template.  Hmm, there is far too much similarity for it to be just coincidence.

Anyway, thanks for your review.  I checked out the trailer on YT.  Oh yeah, the 2 leads are real easy on the eyes.

2 hours ago, BSR said:

I am highly suspicious of most 1-star reviews of gay-themed films & TV series, not just the very short ones.  Since I always read some Imdb reviews before watching something on Netflix, I notice that way too many reviews sound just a little too similar.  They never take issue with the gay storyline, characters, or even the sex & nudity.  They always discuss the acting, script, production values, etc., but as if they're all written off the same template.  Hmm, there is far too much similarity for it to be just coincidence.

Anyway, thanks for your review.  I checked out the trailer on YT.  Oh yeah, the 2 leads are real easy on the eyes.

Informative observation.  You can see this happened with the movie "AKRON".