A Man of No Importance at Classic Stage

skynyc

Jim Parsons from The Big Bang Theory on TV and Boys in the Band and Harvey on Broadway is now starring as Albie Burn in the musical A Man of No Importance. Based on the 1994 film with Albert Finney, the musical has a book by Terrence McNally and music by Ahrens/Flaherty. I have always liked the musical better than the movie as the focus was a little tighter and kinder. This new production is classic John Doyle. Very sparse set, many performers doubling as musicians, and intimate in tone. Despite the fact that Parsons' brogue isn't consistent, the piece was very affecting for me. The ensemble which includes Mare Winningham, Thom Sesma, Mary Beth Peil, Bill Youmans, and the adorable AJ Shively, is OUTSTANDING. The music is perfect for the piece with classic Irish music overtones, and lyrics that paint definite a picture of the the time/setting. Originally played by Roger Rees, the part of Albie doesn't require a terrific singer, which is good because Parsons isn't one. He still manages to convey the confusion and anxiety of being gay in Dublin in the early 60s. I recommend seeing this rarely produced quiet piece, especially for the exquisite ensemble work (and Shively's rendition of The Streetlights of Dublin).

The Deets: I am a CSC member, so my ticket was $89. ($50 for the membership, $39 for the ticket.) I had great seats near the top of the thrust. Show runs about 95 minutes without an intermission. Opens on 10/30 and just extended into mid-December. 

• 3 months later...

Lots of buzz that this production will move to the Circle in the Square on Broadway for a limited run. Haven't heard timing...hard to think they'd want to run against an already pretty crowded field of revivals. I did greatly enjoy it, and Parsons' accent got better during the run. LOL.