Rave Reviews For Cost Of Living

Lucky

I found the Times review to be much too effusive. Thought, I wish I'd seen that play.  The Guardian review is pretty accurate, and the Post review most reflects my feelings. There's a too-long opening monologue, (which cause real confusion for me when we see this actor again later.) I really found the second half to be moving, but it felt a bit of a slog to get there, which I blame mostly on the opening scene. (It's 1:40 with no intermission.) In fact, when discussing it after, I teared up while talking about the last scene. I understand the accolades, the voices are real, and performances strong. Wish I'd known more going in, which isn't always the case. The portrayals by the "differently-abled" performers are great, and not gimmicky. I do recommend for avid theater-goers.
I got this on TDF so paid only $45, and ended up with very decent seats. I myself am fascinated by the recent spate of Pulitzers and am trying to catch them to compare what was considered ground-breaking at that time. (Skin of Our Teeth last year at LCT, Fat Ham at the Public, currently Strange Loop, and just previewing Top Dog/Underdog and Death of a Salesman.) 

Edited by skynyc

• 4 weeks later...

I’m sorry to say, despite the good reviews I was disappointed in Cost of Living. The performers are all very good and I appreciate the casting of actors with physical issues. Hard to go into detail without giving away the plot. I hope everyone who sees it thinks it’s great. Just wasn’t me.