Is this just a Facebook friend collector?

About a month ago, I received a message on Facebook from some man from Paris (originally from Portugal), who stayed at my place in the SF Bay Area almost 30 years ago, when he was in his early 20s. I later stayed at his place in Paris (we met via personal ads, the way one met in those days). He reminded me who he was, and asked me to accept a Friend request. I accepted, then sent him a note telling him I was happy to hear from him, let him know where I am now (LA), and asked him to e-mail me with an update on him. Weeks later, I haven't received any word from him. I must say that I'm a little pissed off. Why would he send me a friend request if he wasn't at all interested in at least catching up a bit? I've never de-friended anyone from Facebook before, but I'm considering doing so. What do you suppose his purpose could be in sending me a friend request? Just to up his "friend count"? I don't update my FB page, so not much to see there. Is de-friending him hostile?

If he's not being a friend, remove them.  

At best, he's a friend collector.  At worse, he's running accounts that collect info about people that is not "public".  Think of someone who could know if you were out on vacation if you posted say in Hawaii or someone who knew you were out for drinks and your home was unwatched.  

11 hours ago, Unicorn said:

About a month ago, I received a message on Facebook from some man from Paris (originally from Portugal), who stayed at my place in the SF Bay Area almost 30 years ago, when he was in his early 20s. I later stayed at his place in Paris (we met via personal ads, the way one met in those days). He reminded me who he was, and asked me to accept a Friend request. I accepted, then sent him a note telling him I was happy to hear from him, let him know where I am now (LA), and asked him to e-mail me with an update on him. Weeks later, I haven't received any word from him. I must say that I'm a little pissed off. Why would he send me a friend request if he wasn't at all interested in at least catching up a bit? I've never de-friended anyone from Facebook before, but I'm considering doing so. What do you suppose his purpose could be in sending me a friend request? Just to up his "friend count"? I don't update my FB page, so not much to see there. Is de-friending him hostile?

Confusingly. Were you actually friends back then? If not, isn't he kind of old to to be collecting Facebook friends